Author Topic: LinuxMCE can control the TV Set? SatelliteTV Box VCR?...... How?  (Read 6292 times)

Wardy

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
In the impressive LinuxMCE demonstration video online the guy says that LinuxMCE can control the actual TV set, VCR and other external equipment.

How?

Is this due to LinuxMCE broadcasting the IR signal that the TV etc. picks up?   If so what hardware would be necessary in a LinuxMCE player PC (as opposed to the Core PC) to allow this to be possible?

Thanks,

Mark.

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE can control the TV Set? SatelliteTV Box VCR?...... How?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 05:27:20 pm »
you can use an USB UIRT to send messages to the TV. also the tv must have an interface for connecting to linuxmce.
Read the F****** Logs!!!

Juliet Smith

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 10:28:49 am »
Depending on your TV, you can have LinuxMCE control it by IR codes (using an IR transmitter receiver such as USB UIRT or GC100) or by RS232. You must add your TV as a device (if you find your model in the list when running the video Wizard, in the TV's section) or define a new device template for it (if you don't find your model there).

When you define a new device template you will be able to set the way LinuxMCE will control it and also to input your IR codes or commands.

Wardy

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 12:25:00 pm »
you can use an USB UIRT to send messages to the TV. also the tv must have an interface for connecting to linuxmce.

Depending on your TV, you can have LinuxMCE control it by IR codes (using an IR transmitter receiver such as USB UIRT or GC100) or by RS232. You must add your TV as a device (if you find your model in the list when running the video Wizard, in the TV's section) or define a new device template for it (if you don't find your model there).

When you define a new device template you will be able to set the way LinuxMCE will control it and also to input your IR codes or commands.

I believe my TV has an RS232 Port (It's a Pioneer 50" Plasma (about a year old) so that sounds good, but I also have a SkyHD HiDef Satellite box so I guess the IR solution may be better anyway.  I was thinking of getting the Microsoft remote for the MediaDirector box, baiscally because I thought Linux compatibility would be more likely than some obscure IR reciever  I hadn't given any though to the nedd to trasmit IR as well.  Maybe USB UIRT or GC100 with my Harmony 885 universal remote (which is on order) will be better.

Thanks,

Mark.

norcal

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 04:09:14 pm »
I am very happy with the USBUIRT. Setup was easy, it was instantly recognized and i could use it as soon as i reloaded the router.

y2k98

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 04:02:28 am »
how do you capture IR codes from your remote?

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 06:56:31 am »
The USBUIRT sends IR, Receives IR and captures commands. Works well with LMCE. And has a port for an external transmitter.

However serial is much better for any device that is supported. Use both.