Author Topic: dual booting  (Read 8097 times)

natedogg319

• View Profile
dual booting
« on: May 18, 2007, 02:53:22 am »
so i did a search in this forum and didnt find many people talking about dual booting. my question is who can give me the best advice or point me in the best direction, to learn how to dual boot linux with windows xp. so i can keep xp but also have that orgasmic linux mce. would appreciate any help here, thanks you everyone!
                 Nate

Provide

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: dual booting
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 02:59:39 am »
I would install XP first but configure it to install onto a partition (size is up to you, if anything go 10 gigs). When XP is installed, install Kubuntu onto the second unpartitioned space. Kubuntu's bootloader (grub) should detect that you have XP and configure it accordingly so you can boot into XP or Kubuntu.

Once you succeed at that, boot into Kubuntu again and install MCE normally.

Don't give up if you fail! Your goal can be accomplished.

natedogg319

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 03:01:50 am »
awesome! but i already have xp installed. when i make 2partitions will i be able to access them both from each operating system? and thanks for the help!
Nate

Provide

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 10:59:14 pm »
You should be able to access your XP partition from Kubuntu easily. It'll probably end up in /media/hda1 or /media/hda2.

Accessing your Kubuntu data from XP takes third party software. Use this from XP: http://www.chrysocome.net/explore2fs

Let us know how you make out.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 10:02:13 pm »
so i did a search in this forum and didnt find many people talking about dual booting. my question is who can give me the best advice or point me in the best direction, to learn how to dual boot linux with windows xp. so i can keep xp but also have that orgasmic linux mce. would appreciate any help here, thanks you everyone!
                 Nate

Hi,

Just use the Kubuntu 7.04 LiveCD and use the Install icon on the desktop to intiate an install on your hard drive. The installer will provide the options to resize your Windows partition to make room for your Kubuntu install. I have used this on numerous machines now and it has worked perfectly and in each case XP was already installed.

Kubuntu will add your Windows XP partition to the Grub menu which you will see first after you power up your computer - enabling you to choose to boot into Windows or Kubuntu.

Make sure you have a good backup of any valuable data and any applications in your Windows partition just in case before you try this though. I have never had any problems resizing my Windows XP partitions... but you never know when the unthinkable might happen ;-)

Hope this helps

Andrew
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 10:04:31 pm by totallymaxed »
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

natedogg319

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 02:44:11 am »
well first problem, small and probly not hard to fix, when installing kubuntu it comes time to choose how id like to partition my hard drive. so it scans my hard drives, and stops at like 46% and stops forever lol. ill look into it a lot more later, for now i have tons of home work to do. be back later, thanks again for the help guys i can use whatever you got!
                                              Nate
(and by the way, F%CK windows!! i love options, for everything!)

natedogg319

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 11:59:28 pm »
so my pc was down for a few days.. apparently i needed some cooling compound and my pc did not like being out of it. anyway, now that i can continue my work, im gonna get grub, then try this dual booting with xp and kubuntu.. out of curiosity, has anyone heard of booting 3 OS's like vista XP and linux? i may do that in the future. so a question for whoever can answer, can XP access linux partition and vice versa?
          Thanks everyone
                       Nate

Cj_MaN

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 11:32:17 am »
By deafult LINUX can read/write Fat/Fat32 and only read NTFS partition. TO be albe to write to ntfs partition you must install ntfs3g.
By defaul Windows 95,NT can read/write only FAT partitions, 95osr2,NT-sp3,98,98se,Me,2K,XP,2k3,VIsta can read/write Fat/FAt32, and 2k,XP,2k3,VIsta can read/write to Fat/Fat32/Ntfs.
TO be able in Windows to access linux partitions you must install ext2 ifs or fsdriver (or other just search on google) . With some you can read/write ext2 and only read ext3.

joedavaro

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 07:34:45 pm »
So do I understand it correctly that you can install linux mce with a dual boot (win xp) ? Because I tried this before with 4 partitions (1st xp 2nd / root 3rd swap 4th home )and I used the Linux mce live cd and after installing linux mce from the live cd all my partitions were gone and I had to begin all over again. Also all the data on this hdd were gone!

So I want to be sure if I install Kubuntu 7.10 on the hdd then boot up with Kubuntu and then download and install Linux mce ?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 08:25:13 pm »
So do I understand it correctly that you can install linux mce with a dual boot (win xp) ? Because I tried this before with 4 partitions (1st xp 2nd / root 3rd swap 4th home )and I used the Linux mce live cd and after installing linux mce from the live cd all my partitions were gone and I had to begin all over again. Also all the data on this hdd were gone!

So I want to be sure if I install Kubuntu 7.10 on the hdd then boot up with Kubuntu and then download and install Linux mce ?

I have installed from the CD installer many times now, and I've never had a single partition vanish on me yet.  Sounds like you installed Kubuntu first and then used a lmce DVD (which, as we all know, wipes the entire drive) to install over that.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

joedavaro

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 02:29:08 pm »
I have installed from the CD installer many times now, and I've never had a single partition vanish on me yet.  Sounds like you installed Kubuntu first and then used a lmce DVD (which, as we all know, wipes the entire drive) to install over that.

Yes I did install Kubuntu first and then used a Linux MCE live dvd, so that's the problem? and I won't have this problem if I have 4 partitions with win xp on part. 1 and then install Linux MCE from the live dvd on the other 3 partitions? The problem is that English is not my native language so I want to make really sure to prevent data loss. many thanks!

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 03:04:07 pm »

Yes I did install Kubuntu first and then used a Linux MCE live dvd, so that's the problem? and I won't have this problem if I have 4 partitions with win xp on part. 1 and then install Linux MCE from the live dvd on the other 3 partitions? The problem is that English is not my native language so I want to make really sure to prevent data loss. many thanks!

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS...

What's the problem with Linux MCE dvd??  nothing...  but if you read the instructions you will find out what it's for...  it's NOT for installing linuxmce over an existing Kubuntu install...  you have to use the CD install method for that...  the DVD install WILL wipe your drive and install BOTH kubuntu and linuxmce...

joedavaro

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 03:16:03 pm »
okay thanks! when the site is up an running again I will have another look into the instructions... and were I can find a cd image with Linux MCE 7.10

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 03:26:34 pm »
okay thanks! when the site is up an running again I will have another look into the instructions... and were I can find a cd image with Linux MCE 7.10

It's down right now:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Version_0710