Author Topic: Help with CRT TV setup  (Read 2653 times)

cpm3rd

• First post!
    • View Profile
Help with CRT TV setup
« on: January 30, 2008, 03:32:02 pm »
I am really wanting to get a Linux MCE box setup. I have a 31" Sanyo CRT tv (model ds31520), when installing it would appear that there is a screen inside of a screen, kinda a "virutal" screen. The TV has borders, however the picture does not extend to the borders. In the setup resolution wizard when the option to adjust comes up I can only adjust to about 1/8" from the right and bottom border. This would be on the "virtual" screen so to speak and not the actual borders of the real screen. My video card is an Nvidia GeForce 5700LE and it is connected to the TV via S-Video. During boot, it is fine...everything full screen, when Kubuntu completes loading, that is where the issue starts (after I hit 5 for S-Video input). I have also tried to adjust the screen resolution by pressing keys 6 - 10, however only 6 and 7 actually produce a pic. When selecting connections I have tried NTSC-J and M with no change. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP. I really want this to work for me. Thank you in advance.

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help with CRT TV setup
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 09:56:10 am »
I am really wanting to get a Linux MCE box setup. I have a 31" Sanyo CRT tv (model ds31520), when installing it would appear that there is a screen inside of a screen, kinda a "virutal" screen. The TV has borders, however the picture does not extend to the borders. In the setup resolution wizard when the option to adjust comes up I can only adjust to about 1/8" from the right and bottom border. This would be on the "virtual" screen so to speak and not the actual borders of the real screen. My video card is an Nvidia GeForce 5700LE and it is connected to the TV via S-Video. During boot, it is fine...everything full screen, when Kubuntu completes loading, that is where the issue starts (after I hit 5 for S-Video input). I have also tried to adjust the screen resolution by pressing keys 6 - 10, however only 6 and 7 actually produce a pic. When selecting connections I have tried NTSC-J and M with no change. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP. I really want this to work for me. Thank you in advance.

Try installing the latest drivers from NVidia and then set up your settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. In particular, you want to set your resolution and your refresh rates. The fact that you get a good picture during bootup means the card and TV work fine, but when X starts, it changes video mode. When the picture shrinks like you are describing, it usually means the TV cannot display the signal it is getting from the card - the refresh or resolution rate is too high, or the frequencies being sent down the cable cannot be handled by the display.
Best Regards,
Richard