Author Topic: linux MCE for non- tech moms  (Read 4647 times)

tokies

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
linux MCE for non- tech moms
« on: May 15, 2007, 06:31:28 am »
i was wondering if there was a way to make it more mother friendly im  building a MCE center computer for her so she can tape oprah and watch DVDs. the only time she would need more is maybe if i was over. is there a way to make different log ins? and still have access to most of the data kind of like a big friendly interface to begin with and then also able to record some shows?

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: linux MCE for non- tech moms
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 11:56:26 am »
you can do different logins/accounts.they will appear on the screen and you must click on the desired name to use the system as that user. and for recording, the things are very simple with mythtv.
Read the F****** Logs!!!

sabre66

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 01:31:15 am »
Personally, just install a dedicated Mythbox no logins boot and go. I've set one up for my Grandmother, Mom and both my sisters. My mom and sisters are computer literate, my Grandmother for get it. All machines work well, why complicate things when you don't need to. I really feel your gonna end up being a full time support rep. I don't see my family enough and would rather not talk to them about stupid computer related stuff.

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 01:54:50 am »
I second that... if they don't need all the gizmos, don't install them.

in my situation, I've got a pretty illiterate family, and I've told them all to buy macbooks.  I bought one for my wife, and she's loving it.

I haven't had a complaint yet, or even better, a "How do I do this"...
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

tokies

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 02:40:29 am »
im doing about 15 boxes total. 8 of them are building up old computers. I wanted linux MCE because of the different types of users. no matter what I amgoing to end up being tech support for my family my brother mother, cuz, uncle aunts and so on. this is christmas presents.

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 03:12:52 am »
Lucky you!

I just did the same thing last christmas for my nieces/nephews...
luckily for me, their dad is a linux guru, and he preconfigured all 7 PC's with ubuntu, beryl, etc.

We had them all set up in each of the kid's rooms, and made them solve a puzzle... (ages from 15  to 10)
It took a bit for then to finally realize they each got their very own computer, but once they did, it was awesome!

I'm so lucky I don't have to be tech support, I'm just the nice uncle who did it...
:)

The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.