Author Topic: Cable setup woes  (Read 4312 times)

kneeki

• View Profile
Cable setup woes
« on: May 12, 2007, 07:44:09 pm »
Hey all,
I'm fairly new to linux still (been using it for about a month now) and I'm very interested in getting my LinuxMCE up and going. However, I have three problems.

1) LinuxMCE is using the wrong resolution for my television (I need it to use 1152x648) and I do not have the option in the list. So, atm, everything is a greenish color (what should be black I assume) and of course the options are hard to navigate since everything is mashed together.

2) I'm not sure how to setup the cabling. Currently, it looks pretty much like this:
Coaxial from wall -> Comcast reciever -> From Comcast reciever: To VCR -> LinuxMCE
That doesnt seem to work, as I am getting no video in my LinuxMCE box.

3) After connecting my Linux box to my tv via DVI out to HDMI in it takes around 3-5 minutes just to boot to Ubuntu. I have no ideas what's going on with this, as if I connect a regular CRT monitor it seems to boot at its 'normal' speed.

Any tips/help/link would be great!

gwyden

• View Profile
Re: Cable setup woes
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 01:56:04 am »
I can only help you with #1) 

change the resolution in the Xorg.conf.pluto file and then use the web admin to change it for the orbiter to the same resolution.

open a terminal type

Code: [Select]
sudo updatedb
Type in your password and let it run.

once that is finished type
locate pluto.conf

and it should give you a list of all files. I think it is located in /etc/ but I can't remember and I've since purged the install.

Once you have the location type
sudo nano <path to the xorg.pluto.conf>

and you should be able to navigate that file pretty easy like you would a normal text editor.

Once all that is dine you will have to go into the web admin and select Orbiter in the left menu.

On the right side there is an option for the resolutionx resolutiony/refresh
should look something like this:
1024 768/60

Change that to your resolution and Select the option to "Refresh this orbiter and reload the router"

that should be your resolution to a workable one.

kneeki

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 05:56:20 am »
Thanks for the help mang!

kneeki

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 07:27:34 pm »
Oi, anyone able to help me with #3?
3) After connecting my Linux box to my tv via DVI out to HDMI in it takes around 3-5 minutes just to boot to Ubuntu. I have no ideas what's going on with this, as if I connect a regular CRT monitor it seems to boot at its 'normal' speed.

For whatever reason, as long as I have a CRT monitor plugged in, I can boot with normal times, even with the DVI -> HDMI plugged in. However, Once I unplug my CRT monitor, it goes back to taking for ever to boot.

kneeki

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 03:22:35 am »
Update:
If I do not have a CRT monitor plugged in, and only the DVI out to HDMI in, the PC wont boot at all. I am currently using ATI Radeon 9800 PRO and a Westinghouse Digital Electronics (model: LTV-32w6 HD) television, running 1152x648 resolution.

This isn't DRM coming to bite me in the ass is it?