Author Topic: DBox 2 with Neutrino  (Read 4134 times)

Heiermann

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
DBox 2 with Neutrino
« on: May 11, 2007, 11:41:08 pm »
Hi,

in the first Wiki-Section "Recommended hardware" I found my DBox 2 - Settop-Box with Neutrino running on it.
How is this device integrated in a Linux MCE - Installation ?
Is it possible to remote-control it via an Orbiter ?

-Heiko

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: DBox 2 with Neutrino
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 11:28:09 am »
you can only setup DBox 2 as a media director. to do this, you have to have option for network boot and a network card.
Read the F****** Logs!!!

Heiermann

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 12:29:06 pm »
you can only setup DBox 2 as a media director. to do this, you have to have option for network boot and a network card.

Hi,
the DBox has a built-in Network-Adapter. And running with Neutrino there is a built-in Bootoption via Network. The first thing the DBox does is sending a RARP-Request to get an IP-Adress. Next the DBOX sends an BootP-Request to connect to a Boot-Server.
If there is a Boot-File, the DBox can load it via tftp.
Is there a Boot-File for the DBox-Media-Director available ?

-Heiko

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 12:49:11 pm »
yes there is in linuxmce. but it will be very interesting to see if the kernel image is good enough to recognize all the hardware.
Read the F****** Logs!!!

Heiermann

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 06:33:46 pm »
but it will be very interesting to see if the kernel image is good enough to recognize all the hardware.

Hi,
I really do not believe that there is a boot-image for the DBox-2 included in LMCE.
Currently I am running my DBox with a Yadi-Imgage (www.yadi.org). I have a harddisk built in, so the image needs to support IDE-Drives. Since I can remote-control the DBox via Ethernet, it would be a great solution if I could use the DBox to record MPEG-2 and stream TV to the Media-Director.

-Heiko

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 11:48:13 am »
usually, this kind of devices are using patched kernels with some extra modules. but you can use the image form linuxmce just for test.
Read the F****** Logs!!!

steviebee_uk

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 12:16:46 pm »
Hello guys, I am planning to build a core system soon and noticed that it may be possible to use a dbox 2 as a MD. This would be ideal for me as I have 1 sitting spare. Was wondering if there was any update on progress made with this and if it is still possible to do?

Thanks

Stephen