Author Topic: disk md  (Read 13984 times)

darkwizard864

• Veteran
    • View Profile
disk md
« on: September 13, 2018, 07:19:08 pm »
is disked md still possible? in 14.04?

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: disk md
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 10:32:01 am »
Should be. Raspberry Pis for example work that way.

darkwizard864

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 06:18:22 pm »
ok nice I wanted to make a md disked but not rpi or and thing like that. it is a desktop style.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 12:19:57 am »
If I were in your shoes, I would just run the regular detection process, let it create everything, and move the stuff over to the HDD, and let it boot from the HDD instead of PXE. Might even work without a lot of manual configuration.

darkwizard864

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 12:15:56 am »
would a disked md take some stress off the core? my core heats up during diskless boot?

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 06:21:46 am »
How many MDs do you have that you start in parallel that your core heats up during serving of some files?

darkwizard864

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 07:55:53 am »
6 mds on core .. soon as one boots up the core starts to heat up but goes back down soon as boot is completed..

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 09:41:53 am »
Check what is causing this. Use top, to see if something unusual is taking up the CPU, use dmesg to see if there are any errors being reported. All the MD is doing is requesting files, if that is causing issues, I am fairly certain that you have deeper issues.

darkwizard864

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 05:51:57 pm »
my core didn't like 4.4 kernel that was causing it to heat up. when I went back to 3.13 it went back to normal temp

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 12:05:49 am »
Nice to see you found out what's wrong. I am sure there are some settings for the 4.4 that will fix the heat issues as well, but if the 3.x is working, why not keep it

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 07:24:45 pm »
If I were in your shoes, I would just run the regular detection process, let it create everything, and move the stuff over to the HDD, and let it boot from the HDD instead of PXE. Might even work without a lot of manual configuration.

There is a process for installing disked MDs.

Gavlee

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • LinuxMCE Wiki Userspace
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 03:21:20 pm »
Hello

Sorry to hijack your thread.

Is it documented somewhere how to install a disked MD?

I have installed disked MD before many times on different things eventually but would like to get the install process clear in case I'm doing it wrong, I can't find concrete docs on it but follow instructions phenigma provided like for arm but instead installing on a i386 with lmce-disked-md-base for example.

Can you clarify this please?

Kind regards.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 05:02:04 pm »
That's the correct method, I don't think there are any specific instructions anywhere else right now.  Feel free to document your findings. 
J.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Gavlee

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • LinuxMCE Wiki Userspace
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2018, 02:30:05 am »
OK. Great.

I guess this is a little old and confusing http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Unsupported_Disked_MD

Can I make a new page Disked_MD or ?

I know disked MD process works because I have one running right now but I think there are a few little bugs in the deb package post install scripts. Networking doesn't come up which kind of stops everything but I think there is an easy fix :)

Thanks for the confirmation.

EDIT: maybe off topic here but because networking doesn't come up on the disked MD but I would like to know whether network manager is supposed to be disabled (NM has some features that could be good on MD) or to do the config in /etc/network/interfaces. The problem is the interfaces file only contains config for the loopback, not any LAN, and if NM is disabled there is no network at all.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 02:57:23 am by Gavlee »

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2018, 04:01:20 am »
I haven't looked at the current network settings that come up on a disked md.  Some changes on networking recently have changed, specifically device names.  The old pages you reference are very old and do not reflect the way things are now.  NM is disabled because it caused many issues, if you have suggestions for solutions I'm open to them.  Keep having fun!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk