Author Topic: Blank screen with blinking cursor during install  (Read 4857 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Blank screen with blinking cursor during install
« on: June 21, 2005, 08:01:36 pm »
I created a boot CD via the website and proceeded to install it on my box. The setup seemed to proceed fine until everything scrolled off the screen leaving with a blinking cursor at the bottom. I am installing on an AMD64 processor and was wondering if that was supported? Should I use a P4 instead? The network card is an onboard one using the NForce Chipset, but I also have a Gigabit Intel Server Nic in there that should be supported. Any ideas of stuff I should try to get more info on what went wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Hank

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 06:33:32 am »
Tried a few different things, but eventually gave up and tried installing using the 2.4 kernel. That let me start the installation, but now I am running on the old kernel. Any ideas what the gotcha is between 2.4 and the latest?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 09:43:43 am »
The gotcha is it will be a miracle if everything works.  :)  We don't test with the 2.4 kernel because there's lots of stuff we do that requires 2.6--it's only there for debugging these issues.

I'll have another programmer address the AMD64 -- I don't know about that stuff...

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 10:10:22 am »
There is a user that runs Pluto on a AMD Athlon 64 processor just fine. He didn't have any trouble as far as I know with the installation.

Even when installing with the 2.4 kernel, if everything goes as planned, after the second reboot you should be booting with 2.6, although some manual changes would probably need to be made to the bootloader configuration file, fstab and others. I would point you to another topic that had this solution, but I can' find it..

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 08:05:46 pm »
After many exciting hours I made some progress getting pluto home installed. The problem was somewhere in Debian's USB detection. I disabled USB in the BIOS, and was able to get to the installation script. However, then I started having CD-ROM detection problems. It looks like the Nvidia's NForce3 chipset isn't fully supported by Debian yet. I'm going to give up on that system and grab a 3.06Ghz P4 system I have lying around and give that a go.

For future reference the problem system is:
Abit NF8 http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=235
AMD 64 3000+