Author Topic: DVD not in 16:9 and vertical sync problems  (Read 4331 times)

thenetstriker

• View Profile
DVD not in 16:9 and vertical sync problems
« on: April 28, 2007, 06:25:36 pm »
When I run a dvd which is in 16:9 format the picture is not strechted by LinuxMCE. I have to strech it with the screen funtion on my beamer. How do I get LinuxMCE to scretch the picture automaticly to 16:9?

In some scenes in the film I notices some vertical sync problems. I tried it with 720p resolution with 50 and with 60 hz and had these vertical sync problems in both configurations. How can I correct these vertical sync problems?

norcal

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: DVD not in 16:9 and vertical sync problems
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 07:57:50 am »
I have noticed this issue as well. Any ripped dvd that is in "letterbox" format seems to not be stretched to fit the screen. However all of my xvid movies that are widscreen appear fine. I am watching them on a native 720p projector. If anyone has some info on this i would much appreciate it. What exactly did you mean by stretching it with a beamer?

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 11:54:31 am »
do you have a 16:9 screen?
Read the F****** Logs!!!

thenetstriker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 03:50:24 pm »
I attached my sanyo plv-z5 beamer to the LinuxMCE, which is a 16:9 beamer. The interface of LinuxMCE is displayed in 16:9 but the dvd movie, which I directly played from the original dvd, was is 4:3 and was squeezed so i had to set my beamer in widescreen mode. In this mode the format of the picture is correct, but the interface of LinuxMCE is not completly visible so this is not a good solution for this problem.

The dvd movie has the 2.35:1 format and has copy protection, so I installed the libdvdcss2 to play it. Maybe this is a part of the problem.

norcal

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 04:09:59 pm »
@sharlee, yes it is a 16:9 native wide screen projector.

@thenetstriker, so you are saying you used the remote to manually switch modes on the z5 to stretch the picture. That makes sense but it is only a temporary solution as you pointed out. I don't think the issue is with the dvdlibs, i have  a feeling it is either a promblem with xine configuration or possibly with xorg. A little googling found some information but not much.

On a side note, how do you like the Z5? I have an older model and was thinking of upgrading to the Z5. Cheers.

thenetstriker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 12:29:30 am »
I now ordered a complete mediacenter pc as you see on this link: http://www.pcp.ch/PCP-CH-MediaCenter-Fusion-1a41022221.htm

I will install LinuxMCE on this system and will report back if the problems are solved. The pc I used to test the LinuxMCE is allready formatted, but I remember that I turned on the deinterlace function. Does this function maybe caused the vertical sync problem?

To answer your question, I like the Z5 very much. The picture I get is huge and the contrast is good and with this model I get two HDMI inputs, which I will use with my new mediacenter pc. I hope that the HDMI output of the graphic card will work.

norcal

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 06:57:16 pm »
@thenetstriker

That new machine looks nice let me know how it works for you. As for the widescreen dvd issue, i have made a bug report on the pluto tracker. Can you possibly add your grafix card/setup etc from your current machine to the bug report as well so that they can more easily resolve the issue.

On a side note, i tried using the stretch mode on my Z2 but since it is already recieving a 720p signal the mode screen mode cannot be changed. Hmm, maybe this has been changed in the newer models. Cheers.

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 04:27:06 pm »
Any updates with play-back DVD on the widescreen TVs?
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru