Author Topic: LinuxMCE and other SAMBA share PCs on the same network?  (Read 4698 times)

Wardy

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
LinuxMCE and other SAMBA share PCs on the same network?
« on: April 26, 2007, 03:39:49 pm »
How does LinuxMCE perform when there are other Samba share PCs on the same network?

I have 2 "UnRaid" file servers that both use Samba on this network, one is set to be the local master and the other isn't.  When messing around with LinuxMCE I seemed to lose the connection to the file servers.  It could have been a coincidence.  I also want to add a Zoneminder CCTV PC back into this network (it currently has it's own independent network).

So when there are so many Samba share PCs on a network, which one should be the local master?  If it is necessary to do so... How do I tell the LinuxMCE machine it isn't the Local Master?  Can there reliably be more than 1 master?

Thanks,

Mark.

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE and other SAMBA share PCs on the same network?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 05:18:45 pm »
you can have 2 master browsers in the network with the condition to have one of them as a preferred master. you should have a line in smb.conf like this preferred master = yes.
Read the F****** Logs!!!

Wardy

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 05:40:12 pm »
That doesn't sound so complicated, thanks!

BTW. does the LinuxMCE Core PC have to be a local master?

Mark.

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 05:50:08 pm »
you can try this of course. btw, do you have separate subnetworks?
Read the F****** Logs!!!

Wardy

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 07:15:41 pm »
you can try this of course. btw, do you have separate subnetworks?

Right now I have 2 entirely independent networks, one for CCTV and one for everything else, but I need to combine everything into one network.  The CCTV stuff can stay on the other network while I get this media center stuff sorted though.  I want to understand LinuxMCE to a level where I can incorporate a degree of home automation (Z-Wave & X-10) and get at least one Media Distributor PC working with a LinuxMCE Core server.  I've asked some questions in the general thread about required hardware levels for each machine and will hopefully get something real going within a couple of weeks.

Right now for LinuxMCE I only have 1 fairly modest PC (by todays standards) that has to be a Hybrid.  It's an Athlon3200+ with 512MB Ram, A Radeon 9500 and a 120gb HDD.  This is purely for learning on, I'm hoping this PC, with some more memory, can be the basis for my core machine when I build a media distributor PC for the living room.

My UnRaid servers are for my work as well as home use, so I really don't want them going down in a fight over "who's top dog?" in a Samba turf  war.

Mark.