Author Topic: After loading the installer.deb, the icon appears, i put in my password and noth  (Read 5386 times)

boss

• View Profile
I've narrowed this down to being a problem with the mce_installer.sh file.  I've ran it with sudo and as root and i get Bad Interpreter: File or Directory not found.  /bin/bash is in place.  I've tested /bin/bash with a simple echo script and it works fine.  I've also stripped everything past the first echo in the mce_installer.sh and I still recieve a Bad Interpreter error.  When I open this file in Nano, Nano states that it has been converted from Mac format to open.  I've attempted to use the dos2unix util on the script with no luck.   

This is a new install with 6.10 Ubuntu.  You probably notice that I put a little effort in to figure out why it was dying after the "gkdo".  Thanks for your help in advance.

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
mce-installer.log what is it saying?
Read the F****** Logs!!!

boss

• View Profile
I should have known you'd ask that.  It never created a mce_installer.log, because the script never launches.  Check out the current install deb, see if the mce_installer.sh lauches on your system.  I've got an "out of the box" ubuntu install.

My guess is that, someone lately, on your development staff made a change to that script file, probably trying to fix something in a pinch, and saved in a wierd format.  There is a ton of people having the same problem as I.  No one has descibed it like I, because they aren't looking under the hood.  But through out the 7 pages of install issues I found at least 10 other people having the same issue and no fix.  Could you send me a link to a different version of the .deb installation.  Or even better, test a mce_installer.sh on your machine, and send it to me.  =)

I'm excited to get this working. I blew away my Windows MCE machine for linuxMCE and I just ordered a brand new machine to be a linuxMCE machine.  I can't wait.  Thanks,
boss

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
  • Linux and LinuxMCE witchdoctor
    • View Profile
Your error is interesting. I saw the "Bad interpretor" error on other scripts when they were using DOS end-of-line characters instead of Unix ones. But the installer is already in the propper format. When you opened it with nano, I hope you didn't save it. The script contains a binary archive after the bash part and it acts as a self-extracting archive. Running dos2unix on it can, and very probably will, corrupt the binary payload. If you really want to edit that file, you should use vim, not nano, because vim knows to leave the binary part untouched.

This being said, please try to reinstall the .deb package, to re-install the self-extracting script.

For reference, I just unpacked the shell script from the deb package and ran a MD5sum on it:
108f4e0a1db90b403761570690f4b4a7  mce-installer.sh

Yours should match. If it does, yet it still says "bad interpretor", something not right on your system.

boss

• View Profile
I reinstalled the installer package, checked the md5sum, it matches yours.  I re-ran the script file, from both the desktop and as root.  From the desktop, nothing happens.  From the console as root I get a return to the next line.  No error, nothing.  The temp directory is never created, there is no log built.  When I open the mce_installer.sh in VIM, i get a message that mce_installer.sh has been "converted" at the bottom?  I simply want to take out the null portion of the script so I can see what is going on when the script runs.  I attempted to take it out and resave.  I can see the script execute now, and it fails with an error from gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file.  I am not sure if this is because I've taken the line out and saved incorrectly in vim or if it is failing in the same manor behind the null. 

The install is a fresh brand new 20 hour old 6.10 ubuntu desktop install, clean format.  x86/intel system.

Why is there not logging sooner in this script?  Also, is there a more manual approach to this install, I appreciate the "easy" button, but in the event that there is problems, I am limited by the automation.  I.e. for example, could I get a tar of the extracted files, so i can run the ./mce_installer manually bypassing this auto-extract file?

boss

• View Profile
ok, i opened vim with the -b switch (for binary)... took out the null.  the script ran but i get a liboobs-1.so.2 cannot open shared object  file: no such file or directory

again defacto out of the box ubuntu 6.10 install.

what do you think?

boss

• View Profile
ok so, liboobs-1.so.2 is not found on my system.  so i built a symbolic link to liboobs-1.so.3 in the lib directory to point to liboobs-1.so.2, this solved my issue.  if you are having this issue.  you could either, install liboobs-1.so.2 (which is not a current package in the apt database)  or do what i did and create a symbolic link by typing

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/liboobs-1.so.3 /usr/lib/liboobs-1.so.2

and rerunning the install.  worked for me! someone must have not noticed that the guys at debian/ubuntu phased out this library that linuxmce relies upon. 

pfunk

• First post!
    • View Profile
This liboobs-1.so symlink fixed my silent installer failure issue and I am well on my way.

Thanks!

Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty (downloaded a day prior to release so I can't tell if it's a pre or post release version)