Author Topic: Configuring Media Director  (Read 5462 times)

Gimly

• View Profile
Configuring Media Director
« on: April 23, 2007, 02:14:25 pm »
Hi,

I don't understand something with how the media directors work in LinuxMCE. I've installed LinuxMCE on a fresh Ubuntu install, configured it via pluto admin, everything went well. Now I'd like to configure a media director, so I've followed the instructions of this page of the wiki, that means configured the BIOS of the computer to boot via network (PXE). Everything looks to go well, and I get the "We announced ourselves to the router. Use a Orbiter to continue.", and here I'm stuck.

I don't really understand where I should have an orbiter working? On the server? How can I configure an Orbiter to work? I thought I was going to have the graphical interface on the Media Director, and be able to control it via an IR remote control (as a MythTV or Windows Media Center).

Can someone help me with that? Thanks.

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Configuring Media Director
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 02:23:02 pm »
you should have Diskless_Setup.sh running there.
Read the F****** Logs!!!

Gimly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 02:40:49 pm »
you should have Diskless_Setup.sh running there.

What do you mean? I should launch Diskless_Setup.sh on the server?

jerry finn

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 03:15:48 pm »
You will see on the screen of the MD a message "We announced ourselves to the server. Use an orbiter to continue "
when you install LMCE, you can install as a core or as an hybrid:
If you choose the hybrid installation, you will get a On-Screen Orbiter on the hybrid. This way, when a new MD is recognized, on the orbiter you will get a message to confirm the installation for the new MD.
If you choose the core installation, you should use an Xp orbiter to continue with the installation of the new MD.

Gimly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 03:21:33 pm »
You will see on the screen of the MD a message "We announced ourselves to the server. Use an orbiter to continue "
when you install LMCE, you can install as a core or as an hybrid:
If you choose the hybrid installation, you will get a On-Screen Orbiter on the hybrid. This way, when a new MD is recognized, on the orbiter you will get a message to confirm the installation for the new MD.
If you choose the core installation, you should use an Xp orbiter to continue with the installation of the new MD.

I've choosed a core installation, so I have to have an orbiter to continue the installation of the new MD? So, if I understand well I have to have a Windows XP, install the orbiter application, connect to the server and then I can continue the installation of my MD? No easier way to do that? I don't really have a Windows XP installed PC to install the Orbiter software...

jerry finn

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 03:43:15 pm »
you can manually add a new MD from the web admin page:
Step1: Enable network boot in BIOS of PC which is going to be Media Director. After that every time you turn on your computer it will try to boot from network.
Step2: go to web admin page, devices->media directory, Press the 'Add device' button.
Step3: In the new window under “Device Template” drop-down menu chose 'Generic PC as MD' and press the Pick device template' button. After that you will see a message about preparation a data for new device. It can take 2-4 minutes. When setup procedure of MD finished you'll see a message on all active Orbiters that new device is configured and ready to use.
Step4: The new MD will appear in the “Media Directors” page
Step5: Now it's time to prepare ISO for new diskless MD. To do that just press the button “Setup Diskless Media Directors” and wait till operation will finish (you'll see a log output to the web page).
Click OK on the “Finished setting up diskless Media Directors” dialog box and then follow the instructions:
“Please wait for the setup process to complete, then do a ‘quick reload router’, and then you can boot up your new diskless media director”
Step6: Turn on your MD.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 03:45:58 pm by jerry finn »