General > Installation issues

You Gotta Be kidding me!!

(1/2) > >>

grindy:
so my friend shows me this video of linux MCE...and i'm blown away by the possibilities...REREAD!!  THE POSSIBILTIES!!  so i install...on an athlon 64...regular i386 install...i get through it...and i have winfast tv 2000xp cards and an ati hdtv wonder w/ remote wonder plus...and an ati 9600xt....the interface works...router works....i'm tryin to configure through another laptop on the network...all that works...no tv tuners tho...no remote wonder plus...nothin...i was under the impression that all this hardware would just work out of the box, as long as it works with linux....the tuners..ok...maybe they won't work...but i can't even get the remote wonder plus to work and i see and ati remote wonder plugin in the config!  needless to say...this thing just ain't ready yet...it's got all the bells and whistles, but it should come with an education and degree in rocket science, cause yer gonna need it if you want to install this system, let alone configure it..i'm no mac addict, but it does make you understand why apple wrote their own gui config panels for everything in OSX, despite it being a FreeBSD base....so maybe someone can help me to understand my new toy?..

grindy:
ok...so all day long...one re-install after another....edgy...then updates...then linuxmce...and everytime....every F***in time....something goes wrong...sometimes the pluto repo is down...sometimes it can't install ATI drivers...but it's always something...i've made it through the install once today...and then tried to configure and that just crashed the whole thing out...so re-install again....and run linuxmce...let it do my updates...and guess what?  can't get the pluto packages...and it's not the vim-common problem either...maybe in the commercial field, this package is a 1.0 distro...but not to the open source community...i'm in awe of the possibilities, but so F'ing frustrated i don't know if i can do this...what the hell am i doin wrong?  i even got this system to install on a dual pentium3/500mhz system and it worked...horribly bad, but it worked...but only after 5 tries....so can someone give me some hints?

Shawng:
Interesting!! I my self have been attempting an install and have nothing but progress. Yes I agree it was not as simple as one would dream, However the progress that the team has made is wonderfully. I Have been working with some of the support guys via skype and find them to be very helpful.

The fact that you did not seem to appreciate  the hard work that is already in play and continuing to move forward is not what compelled me to reply to this post. I found my self chuckling actually at the lack of respect for the hard work. I did reply to the post because I thought it should be noted that your unless gibberish actually did turn out to be useful.   

I ran the installer from the desktop 3 times after double checking my connection to the Internet and everything and remembered having an issue with mysql-client installing..

<SNIP>
Get:4 http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy-updates/main mysql-server 5.0.24a-9ubuntu2 [39.7kB]
Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/m/mysql-dfsg-5.0/libmysqlclient15off_5.0.24a-9ubuntu2_i386.deb  Connection timed out [IP: 91.189.8
8.31 80]
Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/m/mysql-dfsg-5.0/mysql-client-5.0_5.0.24a-9ubuntu2_i386.deb  Connection timed out [IP: 91.189.88.3
1 80]
Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/m/mysql-dfsg-5.0/mysql-server-5.0_5.0.24a-9ubuntu2_i386.deb  Connection timed out [IP: 91.189.88.3
1 80]
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?
Fetched 9574B in 1m30s (105B/s)

ERROR : Failed to install and configure the base software

<END SNIP>

I tried to reinstall again and I chose the option not to have MCE launch on startup and told it to let me launch MCE manually. Based on your statement about DHCP..  and I'm moving forward!!!!

SO I guess what I wanted to say was thank you for taking the time to sign up and vent like you did.

;-)

Cheers

Shawn G

There is no place like 127.0.0.1

mikeofaustin:
Well, for me... I whole hard'edly appreciated the work by the team that put this together... I think the idea alone is an awesome formulation of some very ingenious idea's and paradigm's.    If I had to give it any critisizm, it would focus on the video.  If nothing else, I hope the person from the video understands that at least one person (me) was frustrated and felt a little misled.

Other than that, I am really looking forward to getting some updates from the team. Until then, I'll sit back and troll, while trying not to peeve off any of the developer's... ;)

One thing I tried to do, in another post, is compound some tip's and tricks to installing this thing.  Look for it. It's messy, but a work in progress.
I did actually get it to work, but decided to wait, instead, for the updates, so I'll be myth'in it, till that happens.

Shawng:
I would have to agree that the term "out of the box" was used a little loosely. I to was under the impression that the install was going to be simple. And that for the most part was very simple. It had bugs but with all the pkg's and configuration changes that need to take place I would have to say that the over install was not that bad. I was beside my self when I began to configure it.  I still have yet to get it working but I’m plugging away at it. I strongly suggest ( and I know you heard this before) using the help links during the setup. They seem to be very very useful.

The original post just sounded awful harsh. More like there was expectations for free software. I’m one that is thankful for the open source community. I don’t know a great deal about compiling my own code and son on. But I am aware of what it take (I don’t have it) and its not a picnic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Sitemap 
Go to full version