Author Topic: Controll backend with no frontend?  (Read 4728 times)

dok

• View Profile
Controll backend with no frontend?
« on: April 18, 2007, 03:55:46 pm »
I have setup linuxmce on my pIII computer and i just installed the core system. When i boot it is completely non GUI and after i login i have no idea what to do. I have everything installed on it to be a backend server. I was wondering how i could start to use it from my windows laptop? I just want to get it started recording shows before i setup my frontend xbox. Thanks for the help

.dok

dok

• View Profile
Re: Controll backend with no frontend?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 04:27:25 pm »
Any suggestions on programs or anything that i could use to get access to my backend would be great. I am just really confused on what to do next.

.dok

jerry finn

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 04:36:20 pm »
You can create an Xp orbiter from your xp machine.
Access http//:[linuxmce_machine_ip] and you will see a section 'Download Orbiter, Utilities and other software '
Download and install the orbiter for 'Intel/AMD x86 (normal) Windows 98/ME/XP ' on your xp laptop.

cckrobinson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 04:45:50 pm »
You can use mythweb to schedule recordings.  That's what I'm doing.

http:\\ip_of_box\mythweb

I believe mythweb is installed, but not configured out of the box.  Read the howTo's on mythweb to get it going.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 01:48:01 am »
Any suggestions on programs or anything that i could use to get access to my backend would be great. I am just really confused on what to do next.

.dok

I would suggest that if you are not going to have any Media Directors then you do not really want to use linuxMCE. It sounds like you are just after a MythTV backend, and then the xbox would be your frontend machine. I would investigate some of the MythTV focussed distributions or just install MythTV in Ubuntu. LinuxMCE forms a wrapper around lots of standard applications, including MythTV, and will tend to make it harder if all you want is MythTV.

Regards
Darren

dok

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 04:48:26 am »
I was trying to connect with mythweb and i tried ifconfig and it gave me the ip 192.168.80.1, the problem is that the local network it is on has the ip range 141.132.1.***, so it doesnt show up on the routers dhcp release and i cant ping it either (nor connect). SO what i am asking is, how can i change it to receive the ip from the router and use that ip?