Author Topic: Trouble with A/V wizard and video resolution  (Read 3105 times)

NumberSix

• First post!
    • View Profile
Trouble with A/V wizard and video resolution
« on: April 17, 2007, 09:20:00 pm »
Howdy!

I'm a linux newbie, so please be patient.

I have my PC hooked up to a 4 year old Philips rear projection TV that is capable of 480p and 1080i. I've tried setting the resolutions to both as well as the refresh rates to 50, 60 and 65.

Nothing seems to work, everything ends with the screen being out of sync.

I even tried 720p.. even though i knew it wasn't compatible just because I had tried everything else.

The only thing is that when i try 480p with a 50 refresh rate, the A/V wizard goes into a endless loop, retrying the setting over and over again and I have to unplug the computer to get it to stop.

I'm using a DVI cable from a Nvidia 6600 GT card.
The TV is a Philips 60pp 9502

Thanks so much for any help anyone can provide!

cckrobinson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble with A/V wizard and video resolution
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 03:31:10 am »
Here are a few things to try:

1. Open the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.pluto file.  Under the section "Device" there should be an option called "UseEDID".  Change it from False to True.  If your TV reports the correct timing information over DVI then that should help.  If that works then you will also need to edit the /usr/pluto/bin/Xconfigure.sh file and add the line "exit;" at the top of the file.  Each time you start LMCE it tries to regenerate the xorg.conf.pluto file so you will loose your changes.

2.  If that doesn't work then try googling for "modeline + model of your TV".  Chances are that someone else has figured out a Linux modeline for your TV.  You can add your custom modeline to the /usr/pluto/bin/Xconfigure.sh file along with the other modelines.  I haven't tried this myself, but I believe LMCE will attempt to use your modeline when it tries to configure your display.

3. If that doesn't work then try to get it working under Ubuntu.  Run "Applications->System Tools->Nvidia X Server Settings".  If you are able to configure the display to your liking then click on "Save to X Configuration File" and generate an xorg.conf file.  You can then compare the xorg.conf.pluto file and the xorg.conf file and copy across the relevant information for your display.  I don't think you can simply replace the xorg.conf.pluto file out right.  There might be a few settings in there that are required by LMCE apps.  Once again you will need to edit the Xconfigure.sh file like in Option #1.

Option #1 worked for me.

Also read this thread:
http://forum.linuxmce.com/index.php?topic=1310.0

It's important that you are using the "nvidia" driver versus the "nv" driver or you will have problems later when your try to run the Orbiter.