Author Topic: HAC's ESS Speaker Selector 10 ZONES  (Read 8915 times)

scsikid

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
HAC's ESS Speaker Selector 10 ZONES
« on: May 31, 2017, 04:41:37 am »
Not sure where to start. There was a site known as hacs.com which created a few high quality speaker selectors and other stuff. I bought the ESS series which is currently controlling 10 zones. I'm driving this off the zone 2 of my yamaha rxv a810. I don't need the setup anymore and if anyone is interested in it I guess get in touch with me.

This site has some particulars http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/ESS_Expandable_Speaker_Selector_Switch
http://www.hacs.com/sparepart.php shows the breakdown of parts.

I have the following parts.
1x ESS Left End Plate
1x ESS Right End Plate
1x 110vac-9vac
1x ESSIRT
10x ESS7
1x ESS1

I really don't know what to sell it for so I guess just reach out to me if you're interested, I can show you pictures and such. scsikid@gmail.com

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
Re: HAC's ESS Speaker Selector 10 ZONES
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 10:42:54 am »
Hi,

I have ESS system at my home and I'm the author of that wiki page...

I'm interested in expanding my system, but I'm not sure how to add new zones... I've bought system with 4 zones and they were already built together...

Do you know how expansion zones can be attached to existing system ?

I'm interested, send me an offer...

Regards,
Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 06:23:29 pm »
Did you try contacting hacs? Seems they did something similar for atonhome.com. No idea on availability though, especially with most people going the TCP/IP route, instead of routing audio signals direct.

scsikid

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 07:30:20 pm »
Hi,

I have ESS system at my home and I'm the author of that wiki page...

I'm interested in expanding my system, but I'm not sure how to add new zones... I've bought system with 4 zones and they were already built together...

Do you know how expansion zones can be attached to existing system ?

I'm interested, send me an offer...

Regards,
Bulek.

I can't remember how many can be attached but I know it was greater then my setup which is 10 zones. I know the former owner of hacs, he is a friend of mine. He is not developing anything new. I do remember him saying you could swap out the serial connection for an ESP8266. Personally I haven't tried it to make this IP based.

scsikid

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 07:31:57 pm »
Did you try contacting hacs? Seems they did something similar for atonhome.com. No idea on availability though, especially with most people going the TCP/IP route, instead of routing audio signals direct.

The creator of hacs actually designed and built the atonhome unit prior to building the ESS and AB8SS etc. The aton devices are flawed, I have one in a box.... no longer being used.

Do you know any speaker routers that are IP based? Personally I haven't seen any...

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 12:10:53 am »
It is not about speaker routers that are IP controlled, but using active IP devices to power speakers direct, ie. Squeezeboxes et al. For broadcasting audio-only they are perfect.