Author Topic: 14.04 No sound over HDMI  (Read 10329 times)

jvandam87

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 14.04 No sound over HDMI
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2017, 09:54:33 pm »
I'm just throwing things out here now.

I did a reinstall of kubuntu 14.04 on the SSD. I'm not sure if this means anything, but it's something I noticed when I do an install onto the SSD, but I never noticed before on the old HDD:
After I install kubuntu and reboot the computer, some warnings come up while it waits for me to remove the dvd and hit enter. Everything is written in an orange color (which I never recall seeing before) and says a couple things:

nm-dispatcher.action: Caught signal 15, shutting down...
ModemManager[1455]: <warn> Could not acquire the 'org.freedesktop.ModemManager1' service name
Unmounting temporary filesystems.... [OK]
Deactivating swap.... [OK]
Stopping early crypto disks....[OK]

jvandam87

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 03:31:47 am »
So I'm still just throwing things out here. I'm playing around trying to narrow down where the root of this issue is coming from. I tried doing a fresh reinstall of kubuntu 14.04 on the old HDD while installed into the new computer, and I ran into the same issues I had with the SSD. I then took the HDD out and reinstalled it back into my old computer, and did another reinstall of kubuntu 14.04, and now it seems to work fine. Video, audio, everything works. Then I took the HDD and reinstalled it back into my new computer, and I'm starting to see some interesting quirks. For instance, when I pull up a video on youtube while the HDD is in the old computer, it works fine, but when I pull up the same video while the HDD is in the new computer, the video plays at double speed and I can't get any audio.

This just seems really odd. Might this be a hardware issue?

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 07:19:03 am »
See if both have run the same kernel. If they are, my money is on hardware.

jvandam87

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 03:12:31 am »
Here's what the system settings are showing me. They are the same for both when the HDD is in the old computer and when it's in the new computer

KDELibs Version: 4.13.3
Qt Version: 4.8.6
Kernel Version: 3.13.0-116-generic
OS Type: 32-bit

It's also only showing 3.8GB of ram, but I have 16GB installed, and it's recognized in bios as 16GB

One other thing I did was grab the latest version of Kubuntu 14.04.5 LTS and installed that onto my SSD in the new computer. During installation the PC name comes up as "SMBIOS implementations newer than version 2.8 are not fully supported by this version of dmidecode." I noticed this happening before, but I didn't think anything of it at the time. This may be the root of my problem.

Also, I know I downloaded the 64bit version of 14.04, but after installation, the system settings come up as 32bit version, and again only seeing 3.8GB of ram when there should be 16.

My motherboard has UEFI BIOS, and doing a quick google search, I find that there's been a lot of issues with installing many different version of Linux on UEFI boards. There does seem to be some workarounds, but I'm going to keep researching for a bit. But if anybody has any quick fixes, I'll take them.

Thanks