Author Topic: New pluto.conf option - IgnoreNetworking  (Read 13171 times)

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
New pluto.conf option - IgnoreNetworking
« on: March 11, 2017, 06:40:39 pm »
Morning,

I propose a new entry for pluto.conf, namely IgnoreNetworking - whenever IgnoreNetworking is set to 1, all network setup scripts will exit without changing anything. For people who just want LinuxMCE to be part of there existing network, who can live without auto-setup for networking devices etc, this might be a good step.

Thoughts?

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: New pluto.conf option - IgnoreNetworking
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 06:58:54 pm »
I like the idea.  But it doesn't really deal with your reason, that's simply a firewall thing,lmce network setup is still necessary for those users.  Power users that have weird networking requirements would definitely benefit from such an option.  So... What is the reason?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 07:17:29 pm »
phenigma,

what part of the network setup is still needed?

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 09:13:24 pm »
Dhcp, ext if, int if.  Are required to be setup. 

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 09:59:29 pm »
A DHCP server needs to be running. Does it need to run on the DCERouter? Only if you want auto-detection for network devices to work. Granted, most want that eventually, but for people who want to just dip their toes into LinuxMCE I think a pure DCERouter running on a regular Linux machine can already do a lot of things.

If no DHCP server is running on DCERouter, the entries that *a* dhcpd.conf entry for a specific device would need, could be presented to the user, or written into a seperate dhcpd.conf file. Right now, we already create a dhcpd.conf file which contains an import statement at the end, for site specifics that a user might want. We could, extend this, and create importable dhcpd.conf files for each device that we create, and link to those files instead of writing all the data into dhcpd.conf. This small importable dhcpd conf file could than be used by the user on a different dhcpd server easily.

Again, my view on this is, that a lot of things work without overtaking the network part or even the XServer.

Just throwing ideas into the wild here. Feedback VERY much appreciated.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 02:51:25 pm »
We have two methods of setup currently. 

I believe what you are looking to achieve is already accomplished with a single nic setup.  iirc, when a single nic is detected DHCP is not started and only the ext if is configured (and a dummy int if).  Firewall can be disabled (if desired) and the setup you are suggesting is achieved.

2 nic setup enables DHCP and configures both the internal and external interface, firewall can be disabled if desired.

The setup you seem to want to achieve appears to be met with a single nic setup.  As a minimum one nic must be configured.

I agree that for some other power users (which exotic nic setups or more nics) that an option for manual setup would be beneficial.

Now you mention an XServer and I'm not sure where you're going with that.  Headless systems are already possible.

J.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 05:06:55 pm »
Phenigma,

yes, single nic might already be an option. It is a long time I looked at it.

Headless is possible, but atm we still need one for initial setup. polly's work on a web based setup wizard somehow didn't really finish. And the main thing is, that headless is currently something that is not a thing you select, especially during setup. You can easily do it by altering autostartmedia to 0 but for the initial setup it is not, iirc.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 05:12:05 pm »
It is a selection on DVD install, but I'm not sure it's working,I think it still runs X.  But it is there as an option.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 07:56:46 pm »
Is it safe to say, that apt-get install lmce-core after adding the repo to an ubuntu system, should install a core-only system?

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 09:00:37 pm »
After looking at it a bit more, I'll ask a friend of mine, who wants to dip his toe into LinuxMCE to do the following for his i386 install:
Code: [Select]
add-apt-repository http://deb.linuxmce.org/ubuntu/
apt-get -q update
DEBIAN_FRONTEND="noninteractive" apt-get -y -q --allow-unauthenticated install lmce-hybrid | tee $(basename $0 | cut -d'.' -f1).log

basically was the netinstall does, with the exception of working for Ubuntu only.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 09:31:48 pm »
Is it safe to say, that apt-get install lmce-core after adding the repo to an ubuntu system, should install a core-only system?
Yes, that's the intent of that and the delegate hybrid package.  Th hybrid package brings lmce-core as a depends.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 11:23:56 pm »
phenigma,

thanks for the note on the single nic, and for the verification of the apt-get install. I knew you had done some stuff in that direction, but never looked. The time that I installed two LinuxMCE systems a day are long gone :D and you know what they say about playing with your live system and SWMBO...

Let's see what my friend comes up with, and if he is happy with what we have atm. He wants to have the ability to switch to different output devices from a single MD... kids and their ideas.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 02:23:52 pm »
Sounds neat.  :)

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 01:50:38 pm »
Phenigma, in reply #6 you made mention of a 'manual setup' to do exotic NIC setup.  A while back I had queried about being able to configure a 'bridge' in the web administration network page. 

I know it isn't all that hard to set up the bridging, but getting the firewall configured for the bridged NICs is difficult for novices like me. 

If any reconfigure of the network setup pages is going to be done,  could the bridging aspect be re-visited?

Thanks,
Dennis

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 04:47:17 pm »
I think that would be great, unfortunately those who have worked on the firewall/networking setup have not got even basic things working properly.  Discussing here options to bypass all of it.  :(