Author Topic: power management on the display.  (Read 5918 times)

jcd

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
power management on the display.
« on: April 10, 2007, 09:39:39 pm »
Is there a way to tell the director to switch off the display after some kind of timeout when no user input is detected. Obviously this should not kick in if TV or video is selected but if the box is doing nothing or just broacasting some music/radio, it would be nice for the box to switch of the display until the remote keyboard is hit (like your computer does ...). This would be power friendly ...

JC

jerry finn

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: power management on the display.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 03:54:17 pm »
After 10 minutes, LinuxMCE should start the screen saver.
After another 10 minutes, if you have a TV connected to your computer, it should be switch off. This is only for TV , not for pc monitors.

jcd

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: power management on the display.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 04:07:34 pm »
OK, I have not tried the TV yet.

But I assume it means the "director" knows how to switch off the TV (either through serial or with an IR transceiver).

If my TV is an unknown type and I have no IR tranceiver (yet), shouldn't it be possible for linuxmce to act as if it was a monitor and put the TV in "sleep" mode throught the video cable.

If I switch to the "normal" ubuntu desktop (ctrl alt 7) the monitor will go in sleep mode.

What is the rational that prevent linuxmce to do the same (at least as an option)?