Author Topic: Diskless Workstation installation boot and ACPI=on or off  (Read 3302 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Diskless Workstation installation boot and ACPI=on or off
« on: February 25, 2017, 10:06:36 am »
Hello everyone,

acpi=off was added to the Diskless default boot, during the early days of Pluto 2.0, because of hardware that contained faulty DSDT tables, which did not properly initialize the I/O controller hardware. Since the BIOS in these early machines (circa 2004-2007) initialized the I/O controllers and embedded hardware to a point where the linux kernel could work around the bugs, it was a way to get the non-working machines to boot properly.

With the decreased use of legacy BIOS in the x86 world, and the emphasis on decreasing POST and boot times, firmware engineers moved the initialization of critical I/O subsystems to the operating system, utilizing ACPI to discover, enumerate, and provide the needed data to bring up the I/O controllers and other embedded devices. If ACPI is not turned on, these devices are typically in a non-working state, causing devices to not be discovered, to kernel panics while the kernel brings itself up.

It would be beneficial to hear from everyone, as to the effects of turning this attribute on or off while booting the diskless workstation, does it stop kernel panics? do the NICs initialize properly?

There is a ticket open for this issue:
https://git.linuxmce.org/linuxmce/linuxmce/issues/2731

Please let us know,
-Thom

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Diskless Workstation installation boot and ACPI=on or off
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 11:08:24 am »
Please do not change anything even remotely related to diskless booting without thorough testing on arm and all targets.  Feedback is appreciated.  This is an old option.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 07:47:15 pm »
Does armhf use the default diskless PXE kernel?

-Thom

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 01:37:46 am »
Does armhf use the default diskless PXE kernel?

-Thom
There is a default kernel for arm devices, depending on device.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk