Author Topic: Fixing External Media Identifier  (Read 7715 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Fixing External Media Identifier
« on: February 13, 2017, 08:16:42 pm »
Hello everyone,

I've been on hiatus for the last year and a half (actually a bit longer), as I needed to take care of other things in my life...but am back now, and squashing bugs on my list.

One of the things I had left in an unfinished state was debugging the reverse engineered External Media Identifier, which identifies CDs and DVDs inserted into the system and tags them appropriately.

Due to (what is now known as) an unusual compiler bug dealing with 64-bit pointer alignment, I had to disable the DVD identification code that I had written which replicated the behavior found in the original External Media Identifier.

This code now works, and I've been able to identify a series of both DVD and CD disks correctly, all of which have corresponding entries in the AMG database.

I need a few people who have DVD and CD collections to ping me, so I can give an External Media Identifier binary to test, and report issues, so that I can finally get this piece dealt with.

-Thom

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing External Media Identifier
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 09:41:12 pm »
Has the DVD playback bug been fixed?  The id worked but playing fails due to dvdcss timing out as EMI would continuously try to id the disk.  Had to do with return data not being correct after the id.  Anyways, wondering if that's been fixed, if it has I'll try to test it.
J.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 10:48:09 pm »
Interestingly enough, that hasn't recurred since building my dev environments (I have tested on both a 64-bit 1604 and a 32-bit 1404 VM environment, same hardware)..

As it happens, VMWare workstation is proving to be a far more stable environment for development than VirtualBox (and even properly handles compositing)... with the latest Utils.sh, vmware is now detected and handled properly.

-Thom

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 10:55:03 pm »

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 11:36:47 pm »
This location is usable without needing to go through hoops to download it from the commandline:

http://possy.de/External_Media_Identifier.tar.gz

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 05:30:24 am »
I have done another build, this time incorporating a fix for issue #2723. disc ripping should now work correctly. I am looking to see if I need to explicitly add support for firing an identify when the External Media Identifier starts up (e.g. if it crashes.), but I think this should work better.

Please make sure that you can:

* Identify and rip a DVD
* Identify and rip a CD

The current CD and DVD identifiers use the Microsoft Media Services (MDR) data source, and for American DVDs, this works great... Stuff in other zones may not work as well, need to see...

If anyone still has, e.g. a copy of Windows 7, with the media player, and you happen to be in europe, Please try to play a movie, and if a cover art comes back, please talk to me, so that I can instruct you on how to get the necessary network tracing data, so that I can augment the EMI code.

-Thom

Latest build here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxBzWnEPRL2HSXZVR2JMblhTQTg

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 11:04:41 am »
I've updated the file on

http://possy.de/External_Media_Identifier.tar.gz

so people do not need a GUI to download it. Maybe TSCHAK can find a way to upload to a place in the future where commandline downloads are directly possible ;)