Author Topic: Need Advice for Diskless MD running UI2  (Read 2617 times)

cafedumonde

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Need Advice for Diskless MD running UI2
« on: December 14, 2016, 01:50:31 am »

I am getting ready to expand my 1404 system and need advice for a new diskless MD that I hope to boot from my 1404 hybrid core.

My old system used old SFF desktop machines with Intel x86 processors and they worked without fuss, at the expense of a larger machine with more power consumption and a bit of noise.  I could go this way again but other options may have developed in the intervening years.

The primary goal is for a fully functional MD, running UI2, with good performance and support for all LMCE functions: cameras, telecom, MythTV, etc. If I can achieve this in a smaller, cheaper package, without fuss, great. If not, I'd rather take the conservative route to the goal.

Rpi systems don't seem like an option in terms of UI2 and other functions. What about Intel ATOM systems? AMD? Others?

Please provide advice and experiences here.

I'm sorry for the post, there are patches of info in the wiki and forums but it is hard to discern what the current recommendations are.

Thanks,

CDM

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Need Advice for Diskless MD running UI2
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 01:53:55 am »
I am getting ready to expand my 1404 system and need advice for a new diskless MD that I hope to boot from my 1404 hybrid core.

My old system used old SFF desktop machines with Intel x86 processors and they worked without fuss, at the expense of a larger machine with more power consumption and a bit of noise.  I could go this way again but other options may have developed in the intervening years.

The primary goal is for a fully functional MD, running UI2, with good performance and support for all LMCE functions: cameras, telecom, MythTV, etc. If I can achieve this in a smaller, cheaper package, without fuss, great. If not, I'd rather take the conservative route to the goal.

Rpi systems don't seem like an option in terms of UI2 and other functions. What about Intel ATOM systems? AMD? Others?

Please provide advice and experiences here.

I'm sorry for the post, there are patches of info in the wiki and forums but it is hard to discern what the current recommendations are.

Thanks,

CDM
First off don't be sorry for the post!  You're correct about rpi.  Maybe someday.  Intel NUC has been known to perform the way you want.  I don't run any myself.

J.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk