Author Topic: system down, need help!  (Read 6738 times)

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
system down, need help!
« on: December 07, 2016, 10:45:02 pm »
Hey guys,

typical holiday season, once again, when I plan to enjoy the most and it broke for me.

So here is the history.
I had a perfectly working system with Nvidia GT430 graphic card and Asus Xonar D2 soundcard. I had video coming out from HDMI and Audio coming out from Optical out from the soundcard.

Now I bought a A-V receiver (Marantz) and though I would just get audio and Video from HDMI only. (previously I had logitech speaker system that would only accept coax or optical output therefore I could not use hdmi audio before)

So, I went to Advanced (from orbiter) - and ran the "AVWizard" ----- system booted --------- (it took couple of boots) and I was presented with AVwizard, Yey, I selected hdmi, resolution(1080p) , soundcard as Nvidia HDMI and successfully finish AVWizard. System regenerated orbiter screen but never made it to UI on screen. (yes I did follow rule #1)

What is working?
I have an access to webadmin from internal netwrok.
I can ssh into the core from internally.

Can anyone help me to get what I want, Or am I looking at reinstall?

Please reply.

Thank you. Teju. :o

cafedumonde

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: system down, need help!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 11:43:16 pm »

Your situation sounds similar to one that I encountered when I tried to use the wizard to go from analog to HDMI sound. I suggest the following:

Look at the last lines of /etc/pluto/xine.conf. You may need to add the lines for the HDMI ALSA channels and then reload the router. I have to do this after every reboot.

Separately, you can also try selecting the HDMI outputs in MythTV. These settings seem to be independent from the ones in xine.conf. I would try this first.

CDM

cafedumonde

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 11:49:25 pm »

A further description of what I experienced is at the end of this thread:

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14069.15

darkwizard864

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 02:33:57 am »
don't reinstall
it your xorg file and asound.conf

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 06:00:12 pm »
Hey guys,

Thank you for reply. I scan through those config files and compared with your reference post for xine.conf too. Those files looks okay to me up to my best knowledge.  I shall post the output of those files later this week.

However , I have a feeling that the problem is bigger than that. My system is exceptionally suggish/slow since that AVWizard run. I have lost my media drive which was mounted under /home/public/data/(device#35) etc. I can not access any of my pictures, movies or songs. Seems like some permission issue.

So what exactly going on? here is my guess.

I remember, reading on some other forum ,  that My graphic card Nvidia GT-430 does not work properly with some drivers. And I believe lmce 14.04 , Since our kernel runs little behind , does not install latest nvidia driver.

I am assuming that after AVWizard, nvidia-install.sh runs, and it must have installed driver that does not properly run my Graphic card which is why I am seeing all these issues!!

Does my hypothesis make any sense? Let me know. currently my system has Nvidia 352 driver installed,( I am guessing from what I saw last night. )

Code: [Select]
dpkg -l | grep nvidia
ii  nvidia-352                                 352.63-0ubuntu0.14.04.1                                          i386         NVIDIA binary driver - version 352.63
ii  nvidia-opencl-icd-352                      352.63-0ubuntu0.14.04.1                                          i386         NVIDIA OpenCL ICD
ii  nvidia-prime                               0.6.2                                                            i386         Tools to enable NVIDIA's Prime
ii  nvidia-settings                            331.20-0ubuntu8                                                  i386         Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver

theteju@dcerouter:~$ lspci -nn | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] [10de:0de1] (rev a1)

Thank you for your time.
Teju.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 06:08:10 pm by theteju »

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 06:52:31 pm »
I believe lmce 14.04 , Since our kernel runs little behind , does not install latest nvidia driver.

We use the latest kernels that ubuntu offers.  For 1404 we use the same kernel that xenial (1604) uses.  In newer versions of ubuntu (1604 for sure) the driver for your card no longer exists.

I am assuming that after AVWizard, nvidia-install.sh runs, and it must have installed driver that does not properly run my Graphic card which is why I am seeing all these issues!!

Does my hypothesis make any sense? Let me know. currently my system has Nvidia 352 driver installed,( I am guessing from what I saw last night. )

Yes that makes sense.  To use that card you will have to manually install the drivers and prevent any of the automatic lmce audio/video setup stuff from running.

The best suggestion I can give would be to get a new video card as you will continue to have headaches with that card.

J.

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 05:33:35 am »
Hi Phenigma,

Thank you for your answer. I shall start looking for new card however its hard to justify for the budget while RPi like devices are so cheap! anyways,, I have no choice i guess due to this bond towards lmce.

In mean time,  If someone can please answer few question to make this card working for time being.  I think I have two ways to install driver manually.

1. May be I can edit nvidia-install.sh and put 340 instead of 352 driver and re run the AV wizard.

2. install Nvidia driver manually as steps given on their website. but following this method. I am not sure how can I prevent lmce from automatic changes?
I also, dont know how to kill xserver on lmce.( I know very stupid question)

Am I heading to right direction? or totally off track.

Thanks for advise.
Teju.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 02:14:52 pm »
You can try editing nvidia-install.sh

J.

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 08:31:04 pm »
My system was sluggish because, my media drive i think is crashing.
I removed that drive and system boots up fine with UI present, but NO sound.
I am giving up.

may be my log can speak.

Xorg.0.log = http://paste.ubuntu.com/23604734/

/var/log$ grep "X Driver" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[    59.824] (II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver  367.57  Mon Oct  3 19:35:24 PDT 2016

/etc/asound.conf = http://paste.ubuntu.com/23604761/
/etc/pluto.conf =   http://paste.ubuntu.com/23604764/
/etc/X11/xorg.conf = http://paste.ubuntu.com/23604770/ ( display is working but no sound.)

here is what my nvidia-install.sh look like. http://paste.ubuntu.com/23604777/ 
what I dont understand,, that being on 14.04 thrusty,, how come system has 367 driver? should not it be using 352? I am little lost. I could never kill server X on lmce. so I could not manually install the driver.

nvidia-installer log = http://paste.ubuntu.com/23604779/

Please advise.

Thank you.

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 08:44:43 pm »
some more info

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

also see screenshot attached

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 10:08:50 pm »
If I remember correctly hdmi sound will not work on drivers newer than 340 with that card.  Nvidia removed compatibility.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

cafedumonde

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 10:09:17 pm »

If the output channels are showing up in aplay -l, you might try testing the independently using speaker-test, an ALSA utility. If it works, it will eliminate the nvidia driver as the cause. See below:

https://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/SoundcardTesting

CDM

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 12:58:21 am »
Update. my speaker-test -c 2 -r 48000 -D hw:0,9 is positive. I get  sound out of -D hw:0,9.
I believe its just a matter of tweaking asound.conf to get the sound out. as my asound.conf has hw:0,7 in it. I tried to edit /etc/asound.conf but rebooting the system it goes back to hw:0,7 instead of hw:0,9.

please help.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 01:28:51 am »
Update. my speaker-test -c 2 -r 48000 -D hw:0,9 is positive. I get  sound out of -D hw:0,9.
I believe its just a matter of tweaking asound.conf to get the sound out. as my asound.conf has hw:0,7 in it. I tried to edit /etc/asound.conf but rebooting the system it goes back to hw:0,7 instead of hw:0,9.

please help.

either set manual audio for the device and/or work with me to add an exception to lmce. 

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk