Author Topic: Install Checklist  (Read 2942 times)

Shiner_Man

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Install Checklist
« on: April 10, 2007, 07:39:28 pm »
I have just ordered a core machine and a media director that will be used primarily as a PVR for now.  After reading through all the documentation, I'm a little confused as to how exactly drivers and outside packages should be installed with LinuxMCE.  Here is an overview of what I think must be done for the install process:

1.  Install Ubuntu (Edgy) on the core machine.
2.  Apply all available updates for Ubuntu.
3.  Install LinuxMCE.
4.  Go through initial LinuxMCE configuration.
5.  Add the Media Director.
6.  Reboot and enjoy.

So, since the media director will have no hard drive (network boot) I don't see how it's possible to install anything on it.  This particular media director will have an Nvidia card as well as a pcHDTV card.  I've seen threads on people having issues with the nvidia driver.  Should the nvidia driver be installed on the core using Ubuntu's installation methods?  Will it then be available to the media director when it connects?  If so, should it be applied between steps 2 and 3 above?

Also, if I would like to add some of the third party packages like libdvdcss or enable-dvd-bookmarks, will these need to be installed using Ubuntu's installation methods or through LinuxMCE some how?

Thanks in advance.

Juliet Smith

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Install Checklist
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 11:47:01 am »
you can install these packages when running the wizard, when you get to the 'Add Software' step, or by hand: 'apt-get install libdvdcss' in the console.

thoth

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Install Checklist
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 10:35:52 am »
Were you able to get  the pchdtv card working?  I have a hd-3000  that I would like to see work in a linuxmce setup.