Author Topic: Orbiter interface not scaled correctly?  (Read 4790 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Orbiter interface not scaled correctly?
« on: May 18, 2005, 12:10:12 am »
Both my on-screen and mobile orbiters seem to be having scaling issues. It seems that no matter what settings I change them to in PlutoAdmin (I've tried every resolution and done a full rebuild and hybrid reboot every time) the results are the same. I did read somewhere in the help or the forums that the orbiter was hard coded at 800x600, which is fine with me for now. My problem is that I can only see the upper left corner of the interface. I can't resize the mobile orbiter and the on-screen orbiter is cut off in exactly the same spot. Media plays just fine at the correct size. Am I missing something? I've tried to change the resolution in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 with no affect. Any ideas?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 03:29:56 pm »
Hi,

Because both OnScreen Orbiter and PlutoMO have the same scaling issue, I'm inclined to think that the problem is actually in OrbiterGen, the app which generates the picture files for Orbiter using SDL library. Can you please contact me on the yahoo messenger (my id is pluto_chrism) to investigate the problem?

Regards,
Chris M.

PS. A quick test is to go to /usr/pluto/orbiter/Cxxxx, where xxxx is the orbiter device id and check if the png files generated are ok.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
X11config fixed this issue
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 10:10:43 pm »
Looks like my use of an old laptop as a hybrid/core and more specifically it's old Savage3D video card was the issue. Adding appropriate lines in the Monitor section of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 solved the problem.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 10:10:09 am »
Just so we can get to the bottom of it and know how to detect/workaround in the future....   Like Chris said, there are 2 programs: OrbiterGen which takes the large, high-res source graphics, and does 'pre-rendering', scaling and drawing text and building the actual pre-rendered for the Orbiter in folder /usr/pluto/orbiter/C[orbiter device].  And then Orbiter itself, which either runs on linux, windows or Symbian via Bluetooth, using the pre-scaled graphics.

It sounds like originally they assumed the problem was Orbiter, but later suspected OrbiterGen.  You mentioned the fix with your video card...  But I don't see how that could effect OrbiterGen, since OrbiterGen doesn't use the video card at all--it renders everything in memory and just writes png's.  On the other hand, while the Savage3D could affect the on-screen orbiter in your core/hybrid, it couldn't affect the other orbiters too.

I'm really confused.  The Savage3D shouldn't break OrbiterGen, nor break any Orbiter other than the one running on it.  When it was broken, do you know if the generated files in /usr/pluto/orbiter/Cxxx where correct, so we narrow it down to OrbiterGen or Orbiter?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 08:20:53 pm »
All I know is that when I fixed the resolution that X11 was running at (it had been stuck at 640x480), all of my orbiters (including the on-screen and Windows ones) all were showing only the upper left 640x480 of the interface. As soon as I fixed my X11 configuration, all of the Orbiters behaved as advertised.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Orbiter interface not scaled correctly
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 03:32:27 pm »
I was just reading this thread as we have bumped into this problem again today on 2.0.0.26. We have a dedicated Core and we PXE boot our MediaDirectors/Orbiters. We have been preparing to add a number of new MediaDirector/Orbiters to our test network and update some existing ones. When we deleted the existing MediaDirector entries on the core and created new ones for existing machines we re-booted the MediaDirectors and the Orbiter UI was much smaller than it had been before. The settings on the Core Web management site for the MediaDirectors were exactly as before - so why did the scaling happen? As we have a dedicated core there can be no chance that its videocard or its setup can have any bearing on this problem.

Any ideas?

Andrew

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 04:04:43 pm »
We did change the scaling a few weeks ago to support different resolutions.  In Pluto Admin, on wizard/devices/Media Directors, you can now set the media director's resolution interactively (it previews the new resolution for you too).  We are going to be adding more resolutions for tv formats (720p, 1080i, etc.).

Now, when OrbiterGen runs, if the orbiter is an on-screen display (ie the main display for a media director), it scales the images to match the size & aspect ration of the m/d (4:3, 16:9, etc).  So, for OSD's, change the resolution on the media director's page--not the orbiter page.

I sent a bug report to our php guy to remove the resolution pull-down for OSD's and put a text explanation to avoid future confusion.