Author Topic: 14.04 Installation - More Minor Issues  (Read 4325 times)

cafedumonde

• Veteran
    • View Profile
14.04 Installation - More Minor Issues
« on: August 26, 2016, 12:58:01 am »

My 14.04 Installation has proven to be very usable in spite of some persistent minor issues. In each case I have reviewed the wiki as well as explored the installation in order to troubleshoot. I hope that I am not posting too much; my intention is to ask the community only were I am unable to flush out solutions on my own. I completely accept that LMCE is a project rather than a product, and that figuring things out is part of the fun. Solutions and clues equally welcome in response to my questions.

My current issues are as follows:

1. Mythfrontend does not save settings. I have changed a few things in the front end, in particular the scaling of the video image as negative percents. These parameters are not saved, even when I exit the frontend setup gracefully.

2. Cannot install a Logitech Quickcam. There is a wiki page for this here:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Logitech_QuickCam_Sphere

I followed the instructions, substituting "**PWC Camera Drivers" for "PWC Camera Drivers" in the instructions. Only the ** version appeared in the dropdown when building the device template. The motion wrapper seems to work fine: I get a grey square with some text overlayed when I choose the camera in the Security scenario. The LED on the camera does not illuminate, as it did when I have this same camera connected to my old 810 installation. I think this means that the camera driver is not working.

3. The system has still not discovered my Denon 2307 receiver over RS-232. The discovery script does not seem to be running. How can I initiate it? As indicated by Phenigma in an earlier post, there is a question about the syntax in the discovery script, assuming that I can get the script to run again.

Thanks,

CDM

cafedumonde

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 14.04 Installation - More Minor Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 01:08:53 am »

Looking up the camera model number on the Logitech support site, it is a QuickCam Pro 3000. Again, I had this working under 810.

Thanks,

CDM

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 01:11:44 am »
1. Mythfrontend does not save settings. I have changed a few things in the front end, in particular the scaling of the video image as negative percents. These parameters are not saved, even when I exit the frontend setup gracefully.

Ensure that auto configuration is turned off for mythtv, lots of the scripting is broken and may be over-writing your settings.

2. Cannot install a Logitech Quickcam. There is a wiki page for this here:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Logitech_QuickCam_Sphere

I followed the instructions, substituting "**PWC Camera Drivers" for "PWC Camera Drivers" in the instructions. Only the ** version appeared in the dropdown when building the device template. The motion wrapper seems to work fine: I get a grey square with some text overlayed when I choose the camera in the Security scenario. The LED on the camera does not illuminate, as it did when I have this same camera connected to my old 810 installation. I think this means that the camera driver is not working.

The PWC driver was discontinued in 2006 and has failed to build since 1004.

3. The system has still not discovered my Denon 2307 receiver over RS-232. The discovery script does not seem to be running. How can I initiate it? As indicated by Phenigma in an earlier post, there is a question about the syntax in the discovery script, assuming that I can get the script to run again.

I'd forgotten about that.  With a quick second look I think the scripts are okay logic wise, although have a strange use of $?.  Perhaps you can create a issue in gitlab with your findings from the scripts so far.  I can then see what I get from my Denon.

J.

cafedumonde

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 02:37:19 am »

Phenigma,

Thanks for the reply. Follow ups are as follows:

1. How do I turn off auto configure for mythfrontend? Is there a wiki reference?

2. I found another webcam, which is a Cisco branded camera, though it exactly looks like one of the later  Logitech models. It is working.

3. I am happy to create an issue in gitlab. How do I do it?

CDM

cafedumonde

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 11:46:48 pm »

Updates...

1. I found the checkbox for the MythTV plugin under Advanced > Configuration > Devices in WebAdmin. I think this has done the trick.

2. Webcam issue solved with new camera. It would be great to know if there is another driver for the Logitech  QuickCam Pro 3000. I have a few of these.

3. Just created issue #2700 in GitHub.

Thanks to all.

CDM

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 11:50:42 pm »
Great stuff!  Have you done a search for a newer PWC driver at all?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

cafedumonde

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 05:16:48 am »

Yes, I looked. It seems that here is one out there but I haven't tried one. I plugged the QuickCam into my laptop, which is running Ubuntu 1604 and it works fine with VLC. It is a project for another day.

CDM