General > Installation issues

Denon Receiver Control over Ethernet

(1/7) > >>

cafedumonde:
Hi all,

My LMCE system had been dormant and living in a box for the past few years but life will now afford me an opportunity to rebuild. I have been reviewing the wiki and forums for updates and I am planning my new build. Thanks to all of the developers for keeping the project alive, and a special shout to Tschak for all of the great videos.

My new system will use a Denon AVR3310, which allows for both serial and ethernet control. Support for serial is well documented but it seems that ethernet might also be an option. Release note 28682 for 14.04 briefly mentions updates to IP control for Denon. What is the status of ethernet control for Denon? Is it plug & play? Is it better than control over RS-232? Please provide status or experiences.

Thanks,

CDM

phenigma:
The denon CI series responds to the exact same commands over ethernet as it does over serial.  A few differences, your amp has to be set to not use 'low-power mode' or it will not respond to power on from the ethernet interface.  Use the AVR/AVC (Ethernet) device to control the denon over ethernet.  Your other option is to use HDMI-CEC control, which works great for me here.

J.

cafedumonde:

Phenegma & Community,

It turns out that my receiver is an AVR-2307, which does not support Ethernet or CEC. The only option is RS-232. I have connected the receiver to my hybrid using a PCI serial port card with two ports and a db-9 cable. I do not know the pinout of the cable though there are male and female connectors, matching the genders on the equipment.

The wiki page, which is old, describes that this is plug&play. Trying the setup wizard, it is not detected on either port.

Trying to add the receiver manually, I selected Wizard > AV Equipment > Add Device and picked the AVR/AVC (Ethernet) template. It shows two serial ports, ttyS4 and ttyS5. I am ASSUMING that these correspond to the two on my PCI card. I tried both but still no luck after running AVWizard again to assign the inputs. Sending the "off" command through the Admin tool also does not work.

My normal troubleshooting approach with serial devices is to set up a dumb terminal on one side of the connection, send commands, and see the responses. This is the path I'll go down barring any advice. For starters it would be good to know if the use null modem connectors is typically required. Also, are there linux config files to validate the /dev/tty entries associated with my PCI card?

Thanks,

CDM

cafedumonde:

I have had some success this morning. I have tested both serial ports using minicom, connecting them to each other and passing characters both ways with two terminal sessions. Connecting one port to the receiver, I am also able to see status change reports when I press buttons on the ir remote. So, I know which serial port I am on and I know that it is working. I am also receiving characters from the AVR-2307. However, typed characters are not echoed and the receiver does not respond to commands.

Connecting the serial port to the terminal and running AVWizard, I also do not see any characters coming out of the port.

Is this device really plug & play? Is there a detection script? If so, where is it? Is there a way I can trigger it manually?

Also, if there is not a script, how can I add the device manually?

CDM

cafedumonde:

More success but no prize just yet....

I found the detection script which appears to be /usr/pluto/pnp/20_DenonReceiver.sh

Looking at the script, I modified the detection command in order to run from the command line:

--- Code: ---
/usr/pluto/bin/TestSerialPort -p /dev/ttyS5 -P N81 -b 9600 -t "PWSTANDBY\r\s500mPWON\r" -i 1 -s "MON\r"

--- End code ---

This works!!! The receiver power cycles as expected.

I now know the following:

1. the serial ports on the PCI card work
2. the serial interface on the receiver works
3. they are communicating in both directions
4. LMCE has a detection script for the Denon over RS-232

However, AVWizard does not seem to trigger this script. Is there another way to trigger? Will it trigger automatically if I wait long enough?

CDM

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Sitemap 
Go to full version