Author Topic: LinuxMCE or Dianemo?  (Read 7237 times)

Vytron21

• View Profile
LinuxMCE or Dianemo?
« on: June 11, 2016, 06:14:33 am »
Ok, so i am very new to the world of home automation. I want to use LMCE, but i am having issues. firstly the only version i can get to install on my computer (nvidea graphics card by the way) is 10.04 but it appears to nont have all of the features mentioned on the website. when i try install anything newer it says that the installer had failed. so after getting lost in the tangles of the wiki, i tried searching the forum for answers....and found more questions. i see people talking about using Dianemo instead, and that dianemo and linuxmce are made by the same people? so now i need to know which i should use, and are both free? and where do i get the installer for Dianemo? and is there anywhere where a straightforward manual for this thing is? the instructions on the website skip around quite a lot.

Please help,

Sincerely,

Vytron21

Alblasco1702

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE or Dianemo?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 11:22:33 am »
Hallo Vytron21.

Welcom on Linuxmce.

We need more information from you about your system to help you with problems.

The best version for you to install is 14.04 this version is in developmend.
For assistance you can go to irc channel #Linuxmce on freenode.

Further to answer de your questions about the difference to Linuxmce and Dianemo is that Linuxmce is free and for Dianemo you need to buy a licence.
The software is almost the same.

Hopes this answered your questions.

Cheers,

Alblasco1702.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn E2303 met Tapatalk

Vytron21

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 03:57:05 pm »
Awesome, thanks! Ok, so linuxmce 14.04 still wont work for me, it cant install....I will try installing kubuntu first and then linuxmce on top of it. that seems to be the hangup, it gets stuck installing kubuntu, no matter qhich computer i try to install.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 08:41:11 pm »
Another note: It seems, that Dianemo is no more. The two people that had ties to Dianemo and visited the forum frequently to help Dianemo's customers are no longer active in the community.

Vytron21

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 07:29:29 am »
ok, the linuxmce it is. what version of 14.04 should i use? i tried the latest one today and it installs but freezes after about 15 minutes during the startup process. just a solid grey screen. any ideas? or should i use an older version of 14.04?

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 05:01:41 pm »
Download any ubuntu 14.04 and do the network install as root.

Code: [Select]
wget -q https://git.linuxmce.org/linuxmce/linuxmce/raw/master/src/install-helpers/mce-install.sh
chmod +x mce-install.sh
./mce-install.sh

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 07:35:00 am »
If, after following posde's instructions, you still have issues post here or jump into irc and we'll see what we can do to help.

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 04:25:42 pm »
Download any ubuntu 14.04 and do the network install as root.

Code: [Select]
wget -q https://git.linuxmce.org/linuxmce/linuxmce/raw/master/src/install-helpers/mce-install.sh
chmod +x mce-install.sh
./mce-install.sh

Hi Posde,

I was allways under the impression that we had to Install Kubuntu and net install LMCE and not Ubuntu.... I know they are similar, but just to make sure we don't lead the newbie down the wrong track....

Vytron21,

I have a Dianemo License and Dianemo system up and running. BUT as stated earlier in this thread, the support for Dianemo is no longer on this Forum. If you need support you will have to email them directly. Dianemo is still very much "alive" and they still exist, but more on a commercial level. As for Features.....
  • My biggest gripe is that with Dianemo you can only use a RPi as a HDMI CEC controller and NOT as an MD (Media Director) where as with LMCE you can use RPi as an Media Director.
  • Dianemo has a "NICE" Athena UI - But LMCE has the Qorbiter, which in my opinion is way better
  • Since Andrew (From Dianemo) left the support/feedback for Dianemo is non existent on the Forum. LMCE you get helpful responses fairly quickly and almost allways more than one person willing to help
  • Everytime you change you network card or Motherboard on Dianemo you have to email them to update the MAC Adresses in the License. One License can only be installed on one Server. LMCE you can install on as many as you want to.

I'm sure there are more pro's and cons to both systems, but those are the ones that come to mind right now. This is just my 5c worth.

Karel

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 06:26:19 pm »
I was allways under the impression that we had to Install Kubuntu and net install LMCE and not Ubuntu.... I know they are similar, but just to make sure we don't lead the newbie down the wrong track....

You can install ubuntu/kubuntu or lubuntu, the lmce installer will ensure all appropriate elements are installed.

• Since Andrew (From Dianemo) left the support/feedback for Dianemo is non existent on the Forum. LMCE you get helpful responses fairly quickly and almost allways more than one person willing to help

I would like to remind you that Andrew was stealing from CHT and fraudulently representing himself and the company on the forum here for nearly a year before he 'dissappeared' with a bunch of pre-order monies that had been intended to order what he called their new Open Source RPI system, which appears to have been a complete sham.

J.

Vytron21

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 05:10:07 am »
I am sorry to hear about the sham, and I certainly find this forum very helpful and responsive. sorry, I have not had time this week to test anything yet, work has been crazy. But I should have time tomorrow to test out that kubuntu install first plan. one last question before I start though, what are the suggested system requirements for the core? I read them on the wiki but I am not sure if that info is outdated or not. Thanks again for all of your help so far and have a great week!

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 07:37:46 am »
It really depends on what you want to do with your core.  If you're looking to only do home automation (ZWave/Insteon/Hue/etc) type control then your core does not need to be much at all.  If you check my signature link you will see everything that I'm running in my house, I use a small ARM based core.  In many ways it is comparable to my AMD Athlon X2, but not in all.

If you're going to hook anything to the system that *can* be processor or IO intensive (dvb cards, ip cameras) then you definitely want something that is AMD or Intel.  Intel processors with integrated graphics are well supported (according to user reports), there are some changes in the linux world regarding AMD graphics drivers so I wouldn't recommend that route at the moment.

In my sig link you'll see my NAS system, it used to be my core before I began experimenting with the odroid ARM device.

Almost anything that's out there in the PC world is sufficient (as long as it can run k/l/ubuntu).  Stay away from laptops and tablet type devices for a core, they work great as Orbiter controllers but not as a core.

So the horsepower really depends on what kind of ongoing processing you need.  I don't have an ip cams or video capture devices in my core, I can serve multiple HD streams to RPis and my living room MediaDirector (nvidia vdpau acceleration for video) with no issues.

I hope that helps a little.  System sizes can vary across the entire spectrum depending on your intended use.

J.

Vytron21

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 06:29:09 pm »
well the good news it it installed....i think. my computer wouldnt use kubuntu, maybe thats why it wouldnt take the iso from the site for lmce. but it did install Ubuntu, and then I ran the command mentioned above to install it on top of ubuntu. it ran for like 12 hours and then restarted. now it wants a login and password....but wont take the username or password that i set up with ubuntu....is there a default user login that i missed? sorry to be the eternal newbie, just keep getting stuck.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 10:26:56 pm »
I will try to replicate the issue.  If I can then I'll be able to offer advice.

J.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2016, 12:13:47 am »
I cannot recreate the issue.  I installed ubuntu 14.04 i386 from here: http://releases.ubuntu.com/14.04/ubuntu-14.04.4-desktop-i386.iso, then ran the install script and everything installed in about an hour.  Rebooted the system and the LinuxMCE AV Wizard came up.  Completed the AV Wizard and the LinuxMCE Orbiter showed up on-screen.  Fully installed with no issues. 

J.

Vytron21

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2016, 12:47:42 am »
I think i had a bad install, i reinstalled ubuntu and ran the script again and now it is installing, and differently than last time. last time it kept saying stuff like "copying 500 of 44,000 lines" and went on for hours, i imagine it will go faster this time. who knows what it did wrong :P :) if there is a mistake to be made, let me assure you i will find it :P anywho, I will keep going and come back if I have further questions. Thanks so much!