Author Topic: GE concord express security system  (Read 3886 times)

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
GE concord express security system
« on: May 02, 2016, 02:36:08 am »
Hello guys,

Let me just start with, I do not even know how to explain my case. I would try my best.
I have security system installed in the house I recently purchase and I finally powered it up. the system works. I was wondering that if I can have it work with LMCE however I find there is no way to connect the system to the computer !! there is only one cable comes out from the panel looks like suppose to go to phone line to dial out. I do not think the LMCE would detect the panel through that cable.

Lead me into more search. I found out that there is a module that I can buy which would allow me to attach RS232. The module is known as
"Interlogix 60-783-02 SuperBus 2000 Automation Module with RS232". The installation instruction of the module says RS232 is configured as DCE device. I am attaching a screen shot here. Which I think LMCE should be able to talk with.

Second thing is,,, the whole purpose of security system is when something happens,, It should inform the authority. however. I am at the moment not going to buy any service. AS of now, I know that my phone system is not supported with LMCE. I use ooma voip as phone line. I have never used phone feature of the LMCE before. however I found a post where someone has Ooma system working with asterisk using linksys SPA-3102. Again, thats another topic.

that means my goal is to self monitoring the home using LMCE. For example on an event.. I want LMCE to take a pic or video or send and email to me whenever any is a sensor triggers when its armed. Anyways,, that is a long way to go.

here is the installation manuals for system and the module.

System : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4wop5wRNSQJSTNSek9UNE1xQ1E
module: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4wop5wRNSQJZmVZQ0haV0ZnOW8

So why am I posting these manuals? I do not know. Trying to provide as much info as I can.
somewhere on the manual I found that it is possible to get device BUS ID for each sensors and devices on the system. That could be helpful, Correct?
Do you guys think I am heading to right direction?
Is it possible to achieve what I want to achieve?

As I said before,, My post is all over the place. Any word from GODs would be appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: GE concord express security system
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 10:39:23 am »
Do you guys think I am heading to right direction?
Is it possible to achieve what I want to achieve?

Yes, but you need to find a manual that describes the protocol of the RS-232 connection. The two files you linked do not contain any information on the protocol, afaict.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 05:16:38 pm »
I did some digging, and it seems the protocol file can be found at

http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=933&d=1227652191

maybe it is of help to you.

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 07:54:02 pm »
HI posde,

Thanks for your reply. I came across an interesting thread where people are using many methods to communicate to the GE panel. Following are the approach.
GE panel ----->  Superbus 2000 RS232 Module  ---------> arduino --------> and codes

Some are

GE panel -----> superbus 2000 RS232 module -------> RS485 ethernet converter --------> and codes

Finally someone

GE panel -----> superbus 2000 RS232 module ------> USB to serial adapter --- Raspberry pi -------> and codes

I have to admit, when it comes to programming language,, I am lost. I have no idea what they are talking about.
here is the thread I came across
https://community.smartthings.com/t/any-concord-4-alarm-panel-users-out-there/4429/48

I think, going through RS232 to ethernet converter is the best route to go for LMCE integration.

I will purchase the module and converter, once everything hooks up, Please guide me to get the software part work.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 10:35:10 am »
Read the wiki on developing a DCE device. If you have specific question, jump into irc -devel and ask.

What I do when it comes to developing devices for LinuxMCE is read old code, and copy and paste what I need.