Author Topic: How to set MPV as default player for LMCE  (Read 5009 times)

Govo

• Guru
    • View Profile
How to set MPV as default player for LMCE
« on: April 09, 2016, 03:46:04 pm »
Hi Folks

I posted a while back about some of my mp4 videos not playing correctly to the MD under this topic http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14095.msg101847#msg101847.

I decided to test the same video's out on my laptop running 64 bit Of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Open the video  under the normal Ubuntu player  and it played as expected,  installed xine player,  open the same file and got 6 seconds of audio before dying... same thing happens when playing on LMCE MD.

Done research and installed VLC player, libdvdcss2, and every other decoder available to Ubuntu still no joy.

Video plays audio for 6 seconds, skip a head the video plays but then freezes.

Certain videos play fine and load instantly with the  same result with LMCE 14.4.

Read this topic today http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-mpv-on-ubuntu-14-04-trusty-tahr-ubuntu-13-10-saucy-salamander-and-linux-mint-16-petra/and it seems MPV is new mplayer.

This mpv player along with Ubuntu's build in player and VLC play the videos.

So my question is, how hard is it to set either of the above players  as LMCE default player, removing xine from the system.

Or am taken a trip down the wrong lane?

I look forward to your response's

Cheers
Gov
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 04:07:02 pm by Govo »

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: How to set MPV as default player for LMCE
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 06:34:12 pm »
The correct way of doing things would be to create a new plugin / player combo for MPV, just like phenigma did for the rpi with omx plugin and omx player. It is not wizardry, and a lot of existing code can be copy and pasted, but it is a road that will take a few month to complete.

OR, use ffmpeg to recode the mp4 so that the regular players can play them. It is my experience, that you will always find files that someone encoded in a way that some players can't play them as good as others. The engine that is best at playing files is a round-robin. This week it might be MPV, next week it is the latest incarnation of VLC, followed by some gstreamer based system two weeks from now.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 07:22:38 pm »
If Xine, and especially VLC, cannot play the file properly then there is something wrong with the file.

J.

Govo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 11:51:14 pm »
Phenigma. The file plays ok with every other player including vlc. I recoded the the video today and xine played it ok. I think it maybe something to do with the video bit rate. Lmce 10.4 plays the video just fine and so does 8.10. So this tells me that this is nothing to do with the mp4 file and that xine has a problem  encoding 900 video bit rate file. I will post screen  shots of both mp4 files in the morning as the files are on my Ubuntu laptop.

Sent from my GT-I9515 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 11:53:32 pm by Govo »