Author Topic: What scene or event controls the "Display On" or Display Off" on the Orbiter?  (Read 5434 times)

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Dear All,

How does the Display On or Display Off button works on LINUXMCE orbiter power option?.  I have a setup of a room with a Denon Receiver and also a LG controlled by serial both.  Lmce sees the receiver as main display device so every time the MD turns on, it only turns on the Denon and leaves the TV off.  Same as turning them OFF.
Any hints on how to make both work as Display.
I'm writing other post for other events questions, Is there documentation or a "Rules and Events 101" that helps to understand better all the possibilities of MCE?

Cheers,

T

cafedumonde

• Veteran
    • View Profile

You need to add the LG as a child device to your hybrid core or MD. The template will allow you to specify the serial port.

Find the template by selecting CORE in the devices tree and then "add child device" -> "pick device template". A pop up will allow you to select LG as the manufacturer. There seem to be three types of displays supported, with different templates: 1915, 2228, and 2126.  You should find the template that contains the serial commands for your model of TV.

I am unsure if the LG is supposed to be plug-and-play. The Denon is but that did not work for me with my AVR2307. I had to add it manually as described above.

CDM

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
You need to add the LG as a child device to your hybrid core or MD. The template will allow you to specify the serial port.

Find the template by selecting CORE in the devices tree and then "add child device" -> "pick device template". A pop up will allow you to select LG as the manufacturer. There seem to be three types of displays supported, with different templates: 1915, 2228, and 2126.  You should find the template that contains the serial commands for your model of TV.

I am unsure if the LG is supposed to be plug-and-play. The Denon is but that did not work for me with my AVR2307. I had to add it manually as described above.

CDM

Thanks Cafedumonde, the LG tv was detected by PNP without issues.   It is already added as a child on the MD, the issue is that when pressed on the orbiter "Display Off", it only turns off the Denon, but LMCE has full control of the TV, it is just not associated with "Display".  If I go to the TV commands  under the device, I can control perfectly the TV.  So if the MD goes to sleep, it only turns off the denon and leaves the TV on.   Or if I start the MD, it will leave the TV off but will turn on the denon.
I hope this clears a little bit more the issue.

Thanks again for the quick reply!

T

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Not turning on the display is on purpose. It does get turned on when you display video, and might get turned on when you use your infrared remote to control the MD.

It used to be different. It used to be, that whenever media was playing both audio output and video output devices were turned on. But that doesn't make sense, so it was changed to only turn on what's needed.

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Not turning on the display is on purpose. It does get turned on when you display video, and might get turned on when you use your infrared remote to control the MD.

It used to be different. It used to be, that whenever media was playing both audio output and video output devices were turned on. But that doesn't make sense, so it was changed to only turn on what's needed.
Thanks posde, if this is like that, then something is wrong because.
If I start the media director on a cold start.  It will only turn on the Denon if I move the mouse or if I select to play music or any video.  It will never start the TV (controlled via serial)
If I turn off the MD, it will leave everything on (denon and TV)
If I use on the orbiter TURN on display, it will only do it for the Denon, without the TV.. there is nothing to look at  ;D
LMCE has total control of the TV (LG) via serial but it does not do anything.  It will only turn it on if I select the scene of liveTV.

Any ideas?
T

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Check your pipe settings in the connection wizard, and make sure there is a link from MD to receiver to LG

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Check your pipe settings in the connection wizard, and make sure there is a link from MD to receiver to LG
... That was it!!!!... the pipes !.. Thanks posde!!
Whenever I created that MD, I left it as it was after the wizard where it asked about everything and where they are connected, it never passed thru my mind to check the pipes.  There was no connection between the denon and the TV.  I then configured a video pipe from the output of the denon to the HDMI input of the LG tv... and Voila!.. just like you mentioned!, MCE turns on whatever needs to be turned on.

Thanks for the help!
T

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Glad it works :)