Author Topic: Pre-Install Quenstions  (Read 5494 times)

victorbrca

• View Profile
Pre-Install Quenstions
« on: April 09, 2007, 04:59:18 am »
Hi all,

I've just found Linux MCE and found it very interesting. I've been looking for something like this for a while...

I read the main topics on "User's Manual" and "Getting Started". It looks pretty straight forward and I'm somewhat anxious on installing it at home. However I have some questions I wanted to get through before spending the money on a core, and experience is usually better than manuals, your experience that is!! :)

My network at home is a little crowded as you can see on my diagram at the end. What I'm looking for is to simply watch TV on the PCs and access data (Video & Music) from my NAS or core so I can watch on the TV.

Questions are:

1- Would a standard 100Mb network be enough for video/audio streaming? (I'm aware the User's Manual advise 1G. Low budget)
2- Can I place core and media director on separate subnet than my PCs and use static routing? I do not want to use MCE as DHCP server.
3- Would a P4 with 512 RAM be enough for a core?

Thanks a lot for any input!!!

Vic.

victorbrca

• View Profile
Re: Pre-Install Quenstions
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 05:30:31 am »

1- Would a standard 100Mb network be enough for video/audio streaming? (I'm aware the User's Manual advise 1G. Low budget)
2- Can I place core and media director on separate subnet than my PCs and use static routing? I do not want to use MCE as DHCP server.
3- Would a P4 with 512 RAM be enough for a core?

1. I would say that 100mb network would be fine.
2. I'm not sure about the routing as i'm having troubles with that at current.
3. Pretty sure the P4 & 512 ram would do the job. i'm using an amd athlon 2.08Ghz and 512 of DDR333
and seems to do ok.

how fast is the cpu? & what ram are you using?

Not sure yet. I'm going to be shopping for a used one, this is why I wanted to investigate before I start spengding money...

Vic.

victorbrca

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 05:03:30 am »
I have another question... :)

In case I have digital cable with a box at home, would LinuxMCE allow me to change the channels from any of the Media Directors or PCs?

If so, would I need to connect the core or a media director to that cable connection?

And, would I need to connect it before the cable box or after the cable box (between TV and cable box)?

Thanks a lot,

Vic.

John Taylor

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 09:06:10 am »
Yes you can do that using Linux MCE and yes you can connect it to the core or media director and you need to connect it after the cable box.

Shiner_Man

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 01:10:48 am »
victorbrca, on a side note, could you tell me what software you used to create that network map?  It's very slick.

tsaxton

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 12:11:55 am »
looks like visio professional 2 me.  excellent detail vic.

victorbrca

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 03:22:40 am »
victorbrca, on a side note, could you tell me what software you used to create that network map?  It's very slick.

Sorry for the delay... Yes it was visio. I could not find anything similar for Linux... However, I do use a neat free on-line tool at work for when client's don't have any diagram software. Check it out here

Vic.