Author Topic: Questions about setup of LinuxMCE  (Read 2125 times)

deranjer

• First post!
    • View Profile
Questions about setup of LinuxMCE
« on: February 12, 2016, 02:55:54 am »
I have started searching for some home automation software to test, and decided to take a look at LinuxMCE.  However, I already have a somewhat complex network setup, and am leery about making it much more complex to work with LinuxMCE, so I have a few questions.

Since I mainly use Chromecast/plex (and a wireless xbmc installation), and a Logitech Universal Remote, would LinuxMCE even be useful/possible for media control?

I already have an LTSP server that serves images to a couple of thin clients that I have via netboot.. it appears LinuxMCE requires this for orbiters, would that be easy to integrate into an existing netboot server?  I don't really have much that can be used as an orbiter (my xbmc box is wireless) so can this functionality be easily stripped out if it is determined to not be terribly useful?  If I don't use orbiters, is LinuxMCE functionality really reduced?

I have a complex dd-wrt setup for my router already, will I be forced to turn that functionality over to LinuxMCE for DHCP/DNS?

I have a NAS box, I assume LinuxMCE doesn't care exactly where the media is stored right?

LinuxMCE would be running on LXC, does anyone know if this would be a problem?

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Questions about setup of LinuxMCE
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 03:09:50 pm »
Given your existing layout, and you want to add the home automation stuff only, I would go with the smaller brother of LinuxMCE - see top of this page

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about setup of LinuxMCE
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 05:13:23 pm »
You may want to look at OpenHAB as well, it can interface with the Wink HUB and zigbee/hue/etc.

J.