Author Topic: Running LinuxMCE on low power system (Odroid and similar) ?  (Read 4462 times)

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
Running LinuxMCE on low power system (Odroid and similar) ?
« on: February 07, 2016, 12:05:38 pm »
Hello,

I'll probably try to establish LinuxMCE core for my home - currently I'm running Dianemo, but that's another story... My plan is to do it in low power sense...

I've got pretty interesting suggestions from users running core on ODROID devices. These really seem to be interesting option. But I'm also curious about other lower power options.

I've failry complex system in my house - have 3  Cisco 7970 phones, doorphone, lower automation layer from Cybrotech with integrated heat pump, ventilation, lighting, irrigation, sauna, bathtub, almost any other existing device,..., video surveillance with 4 analog cameras, whole house media&audio with two channels via Marantz SR5600 and speaker selektor, few MDs, one on main TV and 17 inch touchscreen in living room as a main system control)... Over 300 variables flowing between lower layer automation from Cybrotech and LMCE. Currently integration is made via Perl implementation of LMCE device.

ODROID suggestion is really interesting to me, but I'm curious how this fits complexity stated above ?

I'd be really happy to read more details about those setups... In the mean time I have few quick questions :
- how do you cope with video surveillance, large media disk, asterisk, large SQL database, ... ?
- do you have also MDs on cores (I'm quite happy with simpler MD on core - using UI1 on main touchscreen) ?
- I guess you use RPis v2 for MDs - are they full blown MDs? Can you start media on them from Orbiters ? Is RS232 TV control supported ?

One idea is to divide system and have video surveillance on separate system (one of chinese good products) and lessen the burden on those cores...

Maybe there is also option of full blown PC, but still on lower power side ? Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

bulek.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Running LinuxMCE on low power system (Odroid and similar) ?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 05:08:48 pm »
- how do you cope with video surveillance, large media disk, asterisk, large SQL database, ... ?

I have probably more media than most people and have no problems with the sql database size at all.  My media lives on a NAS, however I know one person simply uses a large drive plugged in USB3 on the odroid.  None of us have any video surveillance at the moment so I couldn't comment on that.

- do you have also MDs on cores (I'm quite happy with simpler MD on core - using UI1 on main touchscreen) ?

I do not run an MD on the core, and I don't think any of us are at the moment.  It might be possible but we are running the odroids as 'core only' devices.

- I guess you use RPis v2 for MDs - are they full blown MDs? Can you start media on them from Orbiters ? Is RS232 TV control supported ?

I have a mix, follow the link in my sig to see what I'm running.  The rpi2's are full blown MDs (UI1 only).  They act like any other MD and you can control them from any orbiter in the house just like any other MD.  RS232 control is fully supported.  I have rs232 control of one of my TVs, CEC control of another and UIRT control of another.  The big difference is that the arm device is much too slow for PXE style booting.  All of my MDs are 'disked' MDs (rpis from their SD cards and the zotac from a small SSD).  And I lie there, I have a single old RPI1 doing audio (squeeze) only that is PXE booting from the odroid, the others were just too slow in PXE config.

One idea is to divide system and have video surveillance on separate system (one of chinese good products) and lessen the burden on those cores...

I know nothing of this, however I figure there must be a way to move the video stuff to a secondary low power device and have lmce interface with it.  Again, I know nothing of how this is currently implemented in lmce so I'm speculating here.

I hope that helps you out a bit, check my sig and see what I've got setup.  And check gitlab out for specific issues/bugs that are known.

J.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 07:59:16 pm »
bulek,

one thing to note is: The Odroid is priced in a range that it might even be a no-brainer to just play with it, and see how go it works for your situation. From the feedback I gathered so far from people using it, it is quite powerful as a LinuxMCE core system. IF you do encounter issues where something is blocking stuff or similar, I am sure we can all find a solution.

maverick0815

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 08:17:10 pm »
This is a very interesting topic. I've been thinking along those lines to. However I've not really come up with a solution for my dvbs. Right now I'm using a hauppauge nova hd s2 and mythtv. I'm aware that mythtv would probably not be running on an odroid...but what could I use for satellite-reception?

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 09:09:58 pm »
I don't see why you couldn't run MythTV or VDR with USB DVB devices.

J.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 11:07:26 pm »
USB devices are one way of doing it. SAT/IP devices are the other.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 12:30:09 am »
Obsolutely!  I'm not as familiar with those (I have an old dual tuner HDHomeRun gathering dust that I should setup).

J.

Garbui

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 02:46:45 am »
Hi all. I have been following this development as I too have been having ongoing and unresolved issues with Dianemo. Having outlaid monies already for hardware now no longer supported by Dianemo a low cost, low power option has sparked my enthusiasm. One thing holding my back somewhat is whether Mythtv front end is possible on an RPI2 MD with Linuxmce and if QT5 orbiter is functional yet. It appears from Langston's work that QT5 is only available on iOS and Android? Is this correct? Is mythTV possible with ODroid core and RPI2 MD? I would be looking to use dual HDHome run for DVB-T. What are the current limitations from a standard pxe boot MD that RPI2 cannot support?

Thanks
Garath

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 02:49:39 am »
RPI2 cannot run mythtv at the moment.  Once mythtv 0.28 is release (and we get around to backporting it) then mythtv is possible.  One user has tested it so far and says it works.  Don't hold your breath for onscreen qorbiter.  I have much more important things to do with my time.  ;)  Patches are welcome.

What do you want to do with your RPI2 MD?  Please check the raspberry pi wiki for answers to your questions.

J.

Garbui

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 04:10:25 am »
Thank-you for the clarification Phenigma. With regard to the RPI2, Dianemo went down a path that no longer saw the MD integrated into the system only a UPNP media renderer and not a controller. I am looking for RPI2 to be a full MD, or at least understand what it cannot do at the moment (ie. MythTV). My install is neither large, nor complex with regard to automation atm. Only some zwave lights/motion sensors and ip cams. But the media is important. So RPI2 may be an option in part.

Regarding QOrbiter, not a criticism only seeking clarification  :D - Thankyou.

Cheers

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 05:28:54 pm »
Someday we hope to have UPnP control similar to what Dianemo was doing.  But for us the RPi2 is a full MD with audio/video playback and photo screen saver.  UI1 only.  As I said it is possible to upgrade to mythtv 0.28 (it requires qt5) and it will run on the rpi2 I am told.   As for qorbiter we do intend to bring it onscreen but realistically that will take a lot of effort.

J.