Author Topic: Network Install using Kubuntu 1404 fails dependencies  (Read 3718 times)

botanydan

• View Profile
Network Install using Kubuntu 1404 fails dependencies
« on: November 23, 2015, 03:46:42 pm »
I'm trying to install LMCE with a network install.  I installed Kubuntu 1404 without any problems, then tried running the lmce install script "lmce-install.sh".  That step concludes with a message that dependencies are not met like this:

lmce-hybrid
                    Depends: lmce-md-meta (>= 2.0.0.47)
                    Depends: lmce-md-meta (< 2.0.0.48)
                    Depends: lmce-core (>= 2.0.0.47)
                    Depends: lmce-core (<2.0.0.48)

It says the packages are held and will not be installed and that it is unable to resolve the problem.

Is there anything I can do to make the install work?

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Network Install using Kubuntu 1404 fails dependencies
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 04:32:26 pm »
See what happens when you try to install the mentioned package manually. That will pinpoint to the final requirement that isn't met.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 06:03:47 am »
The main 1404 repository is not up to date.  Best bet currently is to use the recent DVDs to install.

J.

botanydan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 04:22:11 pm »
Thanks for your reply.  The reason I am trying a network install is because when I use the disk, I always end up with a video problem and all I can get is logged on to the mcerouter with a terminal screen.  I can't get any GUI programs to run.  I hoped a network install would fix that problem because the website more than once says a network install will nearly always work.

In reply to your firs t response, I followed your suggestion and tried installing the packages listed as problems.  I did that several times, eacdh time a new set of failed dependencies appeared. Like in this first bit of log entries:

"Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 lmce-hybrid : Depends: lmce-md-meta (>= 2.0.0.47) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: lmce-md-meta (< 2.0.0.48) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: lmce-core (>= 2.0.0.47) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: lmce-core (< 2.0.0.48) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages."

I tried installing one of the unmet dependencies each time until I got to the bottom and finally ended with this :

"apt-get install lmce-core-locator
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package lmce-core-locator is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'lmce-core-locator' has no installation candidate"

From that I concluded there was a problem with the repository or my repository list.

Is there a way I can get the needed files directly from the install DVD I originally tried to use?

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 04:29:27 pm »
Which DVD have you been using, most of them have had serious problems until the last couple days.

A net install is possible on 1404, you need to add a second repository atm because we are not maintaining the main repo.

Code: [Select]
deb http://deb.linuxmce.org/ trusty main
If you add that line to your sources.list prior to installing lmce you should have no problems.  Keep in mind that that is the testing repository and things do break.

Have fun!

J.

botanydan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 06:34:58 pm »
Setting that repository allowed the mce install to work.  The repository in the mce-install.sh script had /Ubuntu/ at the end of the URL.  Also, if the file was run multiple times, it added the repository again.  I commented out the three lines which did that, and manually edited my providers list to the one you provided.  The install then worked as expected, but now I have the same problem I was trying to overcome.  At the end of the reboot, I am in a terminal:

Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS dcerouter tty1

dcerouter login:

I am unsure how to proceed to troubleshoot the problem.

botanydan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 07:44:18 pm »
OK, I determined the issue was the embedded Radeon video on the motherboard.  I inserted a GeForce 7300 card from my junkbox, restarted and I now have a display.

Onward and Upward.

Thanks for the help.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 08:29:33 pm »
You can leave both of the linuxmce trusty repositories active in the sources.list without issue.  mhm, Radeon.  I have no idea the state of the AMD drivers.  Glad you got an nVidia and it came up for you.

Happy LCMEing!

J.