Author Topic: Using mythtv & lirc and choosing main GUI on MD ?  (Read 28005 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Using mythtv & lirc and choosing main GUI on MD ?
« on: May 16, 2005, 06:54:20 pm »
Hi,

I'm running mythtv and I tried to use lirc remote and it works - it's Ati Remote Wonder and it works out of the box - it only lacks better configuration file for ATI remote.
- where can I find lirc remote configuration file to change ?
- would Pluto system mind if I add other mythtv plugins (like mythnews, mythvideo, mythmusic, ....) ?
- how is mythfrontend exactly started and from where ?

I'm also thinking a lot about what would be best GUI for MD. Existing Orbiters are great and intuitive GUI (specially for touchscreens or mouse), but will probably be hard to adopt for navigation with ordinary Remotes.

On the other side there are GUIs that are great to use with remotes but lack touchscreen or mouse support (Freevo, Mythtv, ....).

I know, that there are a lot of stuff to be done with Pluto so I just think, why not use mythfrontend as GUI on MD - it could be best combination for now...

We could still control it from Orbiters and ordinary remotes and get other functionalities too (mythnews, maybe mythphone, etc....).

Mythtv could be "plutonized" with custom skin and that would be IMHO quite good solution...

I wonder what are plans for MD GUI and what would be best solution in current situation... I'm little spoiled by using mythfrontend for a longer period of time....

Is there any possibility to put MD Orbiter in mythtfrontend mode from lirc remote ?

Does perhaps Xine player in Pluto support lirc ? Can Xine player be started with messages - like MessageSend ... file_to_play ?

What are plans for lirc integration and navigation on MD Orbiters ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 12:44:16 am »
Hi,

no one there to give answers  :shock:  ?

Well I dig a little bit further. My Ati Remote Wonder also works on MD Orbiter GUI (but more as mouse moving and 2 button click device). If I get in mythtv it also works - but now with arrow buttons and OK as enter....

Now I tried to give proper configuration file (lircrc) to mythtv to use other buttons too - I copied file to /root/.mythtv/lircrc but no progress - remote still works on 5 buttons....

Is myhtv using it's native lirc capability? How and where does Pluto use lirc ?  Where are configuration files for remotes stored (lircrc) ?

I guess adding lirc support to Xine will make navigation with remotes on MD possible - anyone working on that ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 09:01:41 am »
Hi Rob,

Come on, you post your first message at 5:00pm, and then at 10:00 you write "no one there to give answers"...  :)  Our guys may be programmers, but some of them do try to leave the office every once in a while... <lol>

It sounds like your Ati Remote is just simulating a mouse.  I've used them before, and that's how they work.  That's not a very convenient way to navigate either (too slow).

The way the Orbiter's OSD display works with a regular IR remote is like this:  From the main menu, punch the same number combination on the I/R remote to trigger scenarios like you would on the mobile phone.  "1" brings up all the lighting scenarios (numbered, like on the phone), "2" activates the second one.  "2" brings up the media menu, "2" starts TV.  That's the fastest way to do it, since it's just 2 keystrokes, and is faster than most remotes, particularly for common tasks where you remember the keystrokes (ie 22 = tv in every room).  The other thing you can do is use the i/r remotes up/down/left/right button to highlight the buttons.  It's not a mouse where you're moving a pointer--down moves the highlighter down.  This is the same way Myth and nearly all other set top boxes work (like your cable box).

Once you select the media scenario you want, like 'TV', you no longer even have a menu.  Just use the remote like normal "play", "rewind", "fast forward", "skip up/down", etc.

All the code in Pluto is in place to do this, and it works and we've tested it.  The LIRC configuration is stored in the database "choose advanced, device templates, peripherals, remote controls, LIRC".  You'll see all the LIRC remotes, and the device data has the config file.  The device driver LIRC_DCE writes out a standard LIRC configuration file and runs lirc like normal.  So, to lirc, there should be no difference--we didn't modify it.

For some reason lirc isn't working, and we don't know why.  It does work for others, so it's not an inherint bug in lirc.  But we've posted messages to the lirc forums and have not gotten any responses.  Radu is working on debugging the lirc issue.

As soon as lirc is working, try using pluto with the i/r remote.  You could try using Myth front-end.  However, it seems like a huge amount of work.    The OrbiterGen app would need to be re-written to output whatever Myth needs.  And the Myth front-end won't be able to handle DCE messages.  So it would need to be rewritten.  Plus, a new floorplan module would need to be written for Myth.  Myth's internal datagrids are likely different than ours--that would need to be rewritten.

As far as the other Myth plug-ins, give them a try.  We don't do anything at all that should break/interfere with Myth.  When you hit 'watch tv', all it does is spawn '/usr/bin/mythfrontend' in a window and make that window top-most.  We didn't change a thing, so you can do anything with Myth.

BTW, re LIRC support to Xine...  We already did that.  As soon as we get lirc working, that will work too.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 09:09:23 am »
Oh, Rob, by the way....  If you ever want to look at this stuff (like LIRC) or have some insight on how to make it work, just send Radu an IM.  We have several test systems that our guys work on, and he can just open a port so you can ssh into one and see what we're doing.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 09:42:27 am »
Quote from: "aaron.b"
Hi Rob,

Come on, you post your first message at 5:00pm, and then at 10:00 you write "no one there to give answers"...  :)  Our guys may be programmers, but some of them do try to leave the office every once in a while... <lol>

Hi, thanks for response. Well my first posting is dated at 16 of May - or am I missing something  :)

It sounds like your Ati Remote is just simulating a mouse.  I've used them before, and that's how they work.  That's not a very convenient way to navigate either (too slow).

The way the Orbiter's OSD display works with a regular IR remote is like this:  From the main menu, punch the same number combination on the I/R remote to trigger scenarios like you would on the mobile phone.  "1" brings up all the lighting scenarios (numbered, like on the phone), "2" activates the second one.  "2" brings up the media menu, "2" starts TV.  That's the fastest way to do it, since it's just 2 keystrokes, and is faster than most remotes, particularly for common tasks where you remember the keystrokes (ie 22 = tv in every room).  The other thing you can do is use the i/r remotes up/down/left/right button to highlight the buttons.  It's not a mouse where you're moving a pointer--down moves the highlighter down.  This is the same way Myth and nearly all other set top boxes work (like your cable box).

Once you select the media scenario you want, like 'TV', you no longer even have a menu.  Just use the remote like normal "play", "rewind", "fast forward", "skip up/down", etc.

All the code in Pluto is in place to do this, and it works and we've tested it.  The LIRC configuration is stored in the database "choose advanced, device templates, peripherals, remote controls, LIRC".  You'll see all the LIRC remotes, and the device data has the config file.  The device driver LIRC_DCE writes out a standard LIRC configuration file and runs lirc like normal.  So, to lirc, there should be no difference--we didn't modify it.

For some reason lirc isn't working, and we don't know why.  It does work for others, so it's not an inherint bug in lirc.  But we've posted messages to the lirc forums and have not gotten any responses.  Radu is working on debugging the lirc issue.

As soon as lirc is working, try using pluto with the i/r remote.  You could try using Myth front-end.  However, it seems like a huge amount of work.    The OrbiterGen app would need to be re-written to output whatever Myth needs.  And the Myth front-end won't be able to handle DCE messages.  So it would need to be rewritten.  Plus, a new floorplan module would need to be written for Myth.  Myth's internal datagrids are likely different than ours--that would need to be rewritten.

As far as the other Myth plug-ins, give them a try.  We don't do anything at all that should break/interfere with Myth.  When you hit 'watch tv', all it does is spawn '/usr/bin/mythfrontend' in a window and make that window top-most.  We didn't change a thing, so you can do anything with Myth.

BTW, re LIRC support to Xine...  We already did that.  As soon as we get lirc working, that will work too.

Thanks for all info... Well I agree on mythtv. I see it more as temporary complement to pluto GUI - right now you can easily read weather forecast, RSS news and other stuff that will probably come to pluto later...

Navigation on MD you described seems nice and useful - hardly wait to use it...

I'm already in contact with Radu - and i'm helping in some way. From now and then I just try to put some problems also on forums - in the spirit of open source world - so other guys can contribute also....

When I get in mythtv arrow and OK buttons  work - so I guess this comes from real lirc daemon - not simulating mouse....

I still don't get one thing: my remote works as mouse - lirc_atiusb module is in place - so that means that lirc is smiulating it? Is this Pluto's lirc doing that job or does it come from some Debian default installation ?
If we start from here, it means that lirc is working - but ....

I hope we will solve this soon....

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 01:38:58 pm »
Sorry, I didn't even see the date.  There's another guy who monitors the forums and normally ensures no post is more than 24 hours without a reply.  It shouldn't have happened....

Anyway, what you're seeing with the remote is completely unrelated to what we're doing.  It's a different program/driver altogether, as far as I can tell.  The lirc we use doesn't simulate the mouse--it uses a different mechanism.  So what you're seeing is some sort of a mouse driver.  With our LIRC, the mouse pointer is unaffected.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 11:24:24 pm »
Sorry, I didn't even see the date.  There's another guy who monitors the forums and normally ensures no post is more than 24 hours without a reply.  It shouldn't have happened....

Anyway, what you're seeing with the remote is completely unrelated to what we're doing.  It's a different program/driver altogether, as far as I can tell.  The lirc we use doesn't simulate the mouse--it uses a different mechanism.  So what you're seeing is some sort of a mouse driver.  With our LIRC, the mouse pointer is unaffected.

Hi,

I got my lirc to work (I have sent Radu details). I did more things (yet have to narrow down what brought working state) :
- I removed ati_remote module (simulates mouse over X)
- I remove lirc_atiusb (I've read somewhere like don't let lirc to start on boot ???)
- I reloaded lirc_atiusb module started lircd by hand and irrecord to record buttons - and it started to work... I had to rerecord all keys cause supplied lircd.conf for ati had much different settings that didn't work...

- now IRW shows all buttons I press (if I hold it counts from 0,1,2,...) so everything looks normal now...

HTH,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Niveus remote/help a beginner
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 09:29:37 pm »
Hi,

I've just installed pluto, and it looks great so far. I've got a Niveus remote, which I understand should be similar to the ATi RW. Could someone please guide through what is needed to get this one working (connected using a small usb rf receiver)

I also have a Anir Multimedia Magic remote with a serial IR-receiver. It is listed as a lirc-device at lirc.org, but can't find it in the list of remotes in plutoadmin. How do I go about getting this to work?

kind regards
Tor Helge Huse

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 05:14:40 am »
in pluto admin, wizard, devices, media directors.  choose the lirc driver as the 'i/r receiver' and then add the model of the remote

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
LIRC driver not found
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 09:14:58 pm »
As the topics says, I can't choose a LIRC driver as the i/r receiver as I cannot find it in the list. The only mention of LIRC in the list is tira(lirc), and I don't have a tira.

regards
Tor Helge

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 10:13:04 pm »
On my system the pull down has around 20 lirc drivers: audio, bte, creative, etc.  Plus 2 non lirc drivers: IRTrans and Tira (Pluto).  What choices do you have on your list?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 07:25:54 am »
Oh... then I have about 20 lirc drivers too :) But I do not have atiusb, and default does not work with my remote. I will test some more and see what I can find out when I get some more time to play with this. Thanks for fast replies!

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 09:05:00 am »
Quote from: "oleKanin"
Oh... then I have about 20 lirc drivers too :) But I do not have atiusb, and default does not work with my remote. I will test some more and see what I can find out when I get some more time to play with this. Thanks for fast replies!

Hi,

I had Ati Remote Wonder working... 'Default' device and 'ATI Remote Wonder' as remote. But I remember that I did record new config file with irw - cause my Ati RW wasn't working with stock one... At this point I'm not sure if my changes got into Pluto database as well...

I cannot confirm if it works now or not, cause I'm not using it anymore...

Regards,

Rob.

This is what I have in parameter #59 of my ati Remote Wonder remote control:
Code: [Select]
# Please make this file available to others
# by sending it to
#
# this config file was automatically generated
# using lirc-0.7.1pre2(any) on Thu Jun  2 22:37:51 2005
#
# contributed by
#
# brand:                       ATI
# model no. of remote control: Remote Wonder
# devices being controlled by this remote:
#

begin remote

name  ATI_Remote_Wonder
  bits           40
  eps            30
  aeps          100

one             0     0
  zero            0     0
  gap          235962
  toggle_bit      0

begin codes
          Home                     0x14D5000000
          B                        0x14D6010000
          C                        0x14EE190000
          D                        0x14F01B0000
          E                        0x14F6210000
          F                        0x14F8230000
          LiveTV                   0x14D8030000
          DVD                      0x14D9040000
          WEB                      0x14DA050000
          Guide                    0x14DB060000
          TV                       0x14DC070000
          Power                    0x14D7020000
          MOUSE_LEFT_BTN           0x144D780000
          MOUSE_RIGHT_BTN          0x14517C0000
          MOUSE_UP                 0x1447720000
          MOUSE_DOWN               0x1448730000
          MOUSE_LEFT               0x144C770000
          MOUSE_RIGHT              0x1446710000
          VolUp                    0x14DD080000
          VolDown                  0x14DE090000
          Mute                     0x14DF0A0000
          ChanUp                   0x14E00B0000
          ChanDown                 0x14E10C0000
          1                        0x14E20D0000
          2                        0x14E30E0000
          3                        0x14E40F0000
          4                        0x14E5100000
          5                        0x14E6110000
          6                        0x14E7120000
          7                        0x14E8130000
          8                        0x14E9140000
          9                        0x14EA150000
          0                        0x14EC170000
          Music                    0x14EB160000
          Enter                    0x14ED180000
          Up                       0x14EF1A0000
          Down                     0x14F7220000
          Left                     0x14F21D0000
          Right                    0x14F41F0000
          Enter                    0x14F31E0000
          Back                     0x14F11C0000
          Clear                    0x14F5200000
          Rewind                   0x14F9240000
          Play                     0x14FA250000
          Forward                  0x14FB260000
          Record                   0x14FC270000
          Stop                     0x14FD280000
          Pause                    0x14FE290000
      end codes

end remote

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Progress :)
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2005, 10:43:44 am »
Using irw I can see that the mouse buttons are registered, but not any of the other buttons. How do I use irrecord to create a new config file? I have tried several combinations of the command found on the net, but none seem to work.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2005, 02:58:37 am »
I've got a bunch of lovely coconuts.

There they are all standing in a row