Author Topic: Sony "Control-S" Device Interface  (Read 4924 times)

choder

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Sony "Control-S" Device Interface
« on: April 06, 2007, 06:11:11 pm »
I'm looking to control a Sony receiver and I was hoping to leverage the existing Sony "Control S" protocol.  (Formerly known as S-link?)  xantech makes an adapter that will interface with the Sony Control S protocol to recieve IR and send them through the Control S jack on the equipment. 

However, the exact nature of the protocol has been hard to track down, but finding a way to interface Control S into the LinuxMCE will help people using any Sony equipment, including TVs, Recievers, DVD players, etc... with more advanced controls, like current volume, device selection, and audio setup.

So far I've only been able to find retired products that used to work with the Control S protocol, nothing current.  However, Sony still includes Control S on almost every new product.

Looking forward to anyone's input, thanks!

stampeder

• View Profile
Sony "Control-S" Device Interface
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 06:22:12 pm »
If you want to control a Sony multidisc CD player that uses Control-S or S-link protocol you need to check out the Black Box Designs SAVR3 device.
I have no connection to this little company but I have purchased their product, which is current and well supported. It does work as advertised.
The big bonus here is that the three output ports can also be used as IR emitter ports. So for well under $100.00 you get an RS232 to 3 port IR interface and it will control your Sony S-link device.

I have my LinuxMCE core working with X10 and I'm about to integrate this product into my system. I plan to post my results.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Sony "Control-S" Device Interface
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 06:54:24 pm »
You can actually connect a USB UIRT's IR emitter port directly to an S-Link port. It's just raw IR pulses over wire.

-Thom