Author Topic: can linuxMCE do.....  (Read 3546 times)

chevy_b69

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
can linuxMCE do.....
« on: April 06, 2007, 12:13:10 pm »
Hi, i am thinking of installing linux mce, firstly do i need linux OS first or is that included.

When i install how will it effect my boot up, and will it wipe windows OS, and can i use all existing software on it E.G. Itunes, powerDVD, google earth.

Finally, i currently only watch dvd's on my projector, listen to music, and surf the web through my PC, but plan to use linux MCE to control my next house (which will be fully automated) should it meet my needs, i therefore want to get used to it, before i choose what i automate. Is it worth doing this???

any replies appreciated

jerry finn

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: can linuxMCE do.....
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 12:31:40 pm »
LinuxMCE is a free, open source add-on to Ubuntu, so you need to install Ubuntu first.
you can download Ubuntu from here: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu

you can install Ubuntu and still keep your current windows OS

LinuxMCE is the only solution seamlessly combining:
   1. media & entertainment with a server for music, movies and tv shows, plus a PVR and DVD Player,
   2. a home automation system to control everything in the home with touch-screen tablet and Bluetooth mobile phone controllers,
   3. a phone system with video conferencing,
   4. a security system that feeds you live video on your mobile phone when something happens, and lets you speak to visitors through your stereos, and
   5. a home PC solution.

i think it should meet your needs.

Hugolp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: can linuxMCE do.....
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 12:43:40 pm »
Linux MCE install on top of Ubuntu. Ubuntu is a OS that run on your pc and can run in the same computer where you have your windows, and you can choose wich OS to start when you boot your computer. But you shouldnt do that with linux mce. Why? Because if you want to take full advantage of automatization youll need a computer acting as a server and running 24hours a day. So no point on having windows there is it?

If you just want a try the system then yes. You can install Ubuntu in the same computer as windows and choose wich one to install. For doing this, just go to www.ubuntu.com and download the Ubuntu Edgy Eft x86 version (it doesnt matter if you have a 64 bit version, linuxmce will only work 32 bits, but Im in that situation and there is almost no difference in perfomance). Then burn the iso in a cd. Leave the cd in and restart your computer. Ubuntu will load from the cd without using your hard drive (so when you boot again without the cd the system will be exacly as it was before). This is call live CD and lets you use linux in any computer.

When you have done this, youll see a Install icon on the Desktop. Use it to install Ubuntu on your system (so you dont need the cd and you can install extra programs). In the installation procces it will ask you what you want to do. To install using the whole hard drive memory (this will delete windows) or to share the hard drive with other SO (youll have to tell him how much memory you want to give each SO). I dont really know about incompatibilites with the windows file system because I dont use windows, but maybe others here can tell you how it goes. I only know the theory of windows and ubuntu together cause Ive never done it, but lots of people is working that way, so its possible.

When you have ubuntu installed. You just have to download the iso from linux mce, burn it, and put in the cd. Then go to the main page and click on install linuxmce. That will download a file from where you can begin the installation.

Hugo

EDIT: You can use itunes on linux, there are plenty of dvd players, and there is google earth as well. And before you ask, yes that you are thinking (whatever it is) exists in linux as well. ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 12:48:34 pm by Hugolp »