Author Topic: can linuxMCE do.....  (Read 3851 times)

chevy_b69

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
can linuxMCE do.....
« on: April 06, 2007, 12:07:36 pm »
Hi, i am thinking of installing linux mce, firstly do i need linux OS first or is that included.

When i install how will it effect my boot up, and will it wipe windows OS, and can i use all existing software on it E.G. Itunes, powerDVD, google earth.

Finally, i currently only watch dvd's on my projector, listen to music, and surf the web through my PC, but plan to use linux MCE to control my next house (which will be fully automated) should it meet my needs, i therefore want to get used to it, before i choose what i automate. Is it worth doing this???

any replies appreciated
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 12:11:16 pm by chevy_b69 »

skootles

• View Profile
Re: can linuxMCE do.....
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 05:42:17 am »
You need to install the Ubuntu disto of Linux first, it's not included in the LinuxMCE package.

And you can choose to do a dual-boot, so that it won't wipe out your XP installation. I'm not sure entirely how to do this, but some googling should help.

saturn

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: can linuxMCE do.....
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 04:13:04 pm »
by default, Ubuntu will install alongside Windows without deleting it: it will resize your Windows partition and free up some space for itself, then it installs a bootloader so you'll have to choose between Linux and Windows when you boot your machine.