Author Topic: Integration of streaming sites?  (Read 22091 times)

rebelkiller

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Integration of streaming sites?
« on: April 26, 2015, 04:13:23 pm »
Hello there,

video streaming sites like watchever, netflix or amazon instant video are getting more important these days. I would really appreciate a better integration of those streaming sites into LinuxMCE without using the web browser.

At the moment I'm using those sites via appletv or via apps integrated into my Panasonic smart tv.

Personally I'm using the classical satellite tv less and less....

BR

Bernd

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Integration of streaming sites?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 07:09:15 am »
We would love to. It mostly boils down to DRM issues in Linux.

-Thom

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 05:35:51 am »
I second Thoms observation.  What we need is someone willing to try and integrate some of the existing interfaces.  It would be a big challenge in some respects as most are designed for a mouse environment.  I would love to watch netflix through lmce natively!  :D

J.

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 04:34:16 pm »
Short Answer: NO

Not to be a jerk, but these companies have no interesting in making their viewers available for linux. The best route (for me) was to just create a netflix / amazon scenario and control it like i do PS3 or other external media. Via the orbiter.

Hope this helps

golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 11:15:39 pm »
Hello to all,

My two cents on Netflix!.  I Installed Google Chrome and I was able to get Netflix running Perfectly.  I Started a Post not long ago sharing how to do it. Just a few tricks on video acceleration for chrome and nvidia and running as root.
I was able to run it without any issues on a Zotac Zbox I use as MD.

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14056.msg101567#msg101567

The only thing I don't know how to do is to make LMCE start Chrome instead of Firefox.

Cheers,

T

rebelkiller

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 07:31:03 pm »
Short Answer: NO

Not to be a jerk, but these companies have no interesting in making their viewers available for linux. The best route (for me) was to just create a netflix / amazon scenario and control it like i do PS3 or other external media. Via the orbiter.

Hope this helps

golgoj4

In Kodi there is an amazon instant prime addon that is working fine. ATM I'm using my Kodi-based rpi2 with this addon. So it could work in LinuxMCE, too....

cheers,

bernd

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 04:01:54 am »
In Kodi there is an amazon instant prime addon that is working fine. ATM I'm using my Kodi-based rpi2 with this addon. So it could work in LinuxMCE, too....

cheers,

bernd

Would you care to port it to LMCE?  The 6 of us developing steadily here do not have time for the niceties at the moment.  :(

J.

rebelkiller

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 09:25:51 pm »
I'm afraid I have no programming skills.  :(  I have no idea how to do this...

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 12:05:34 am »
rebelkiller,

see rule #3 at the top of your screen! ;)

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 11:44:20 pm »
I'm afraid I have no programming skills.  :(  I have no idea how to do this...

rebelkiller,

I am on same boat. Always have these ideas but reading codes like a foreign language. Anyways,, If you want we can dig little more into this. I am willing to put some efforts.

Following is my understanding and observation.
1.) if you notice about mythTV ; when we fire myth from the computing the entire software runs on its own putting everything on side. example, UI, screensaver etc.  unlike,the way as the firefox launches.
2.) mythTV is a software given as a choice. Which means, If I do not want the front end would not be installed on a particular MD. These softwares can be added and removed from the webadmin under devices and as a child device for a particular MD.

Same way Kodi may be integrated to LMCE.
Should be available as optional on a particular MD only.
When user chooses, the software would be installed as a child device by running a install scrip that would install kodi.
the link to fire kodi may be made available on computing page of the UI underneath myth.

Everything LMCE does it through a device template. I found this wiki that explains the Device template in less complex language.
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Vista_ICM_Panel_Development

Perhaps, Kodi is a huge piece of software for us to start. we can try something very lightweight first.

Let me know, what you think. :P
Any words from LMCE Gods would be appreciated. :)
Thanks.

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 11:48:10 pm »

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 09:03:50 am »
You can go that route. You will have whatever interface the application uses that you start, plus the ability to use the "mouse" control via Orbiter.

What would be nicer would be a real device template, which would talk to kodi's XML interface, send commands from buttons on your Orbiter remote. But that is much more work.

Aarontraum

• View Profile
Integration of streaming sites
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 10:22:09 am »
Apple Health integration for the iPhone application would be nice. Also the ability to add user weight for more accurate calorie burn estimates

maverick0815

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 11:17:17 am »
I somehow don't see what Apple Health has to do with homeautomisation....??

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 04:35:04 am »
here we go,,

Great place to start.

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Adding_new_computing_apps

:)

Hi to all, it has been a while... but just to do a little follow up on this, this was the route im using for more than a year.  I added chrome as new computing app also kodi.  Not using Kodi much to be honest, but Netflix I´m using it, well,  My wife and kids! are using it everyday.  I just need a bit more computing power on that MD in order to have better navigation (ZOTAC MAG) navigates bit slow netflix website but once the streaming starts, all is ok.  Navigation is done by wireless keyboard and mouse.  The onscreen keyboard is useless.

Cheers,
T