General > Installation issues

LinuxMCE 14.04 on ESXi?

(1/3) > >>

brononius:
Hey,

Finally came to a point that I can give 14.04 a test run.
I want to do this on ESXi since most of my home machines run on there, and it's a great way to split the resources/risks/...

But when i try to install the "LMCE­ 1404­ 20150326121­930361.iso", it starts to install linux, and it gets stuck on the desktop. Everything has been copied and so, but i'm getting the kubuntu destktop, without any icons or so.
Any hints?

ps Is there any way to install it as an 'application' instead of full system?

phenigma:
The short answer is that it's not been tested this way.  I would recommend using the network install method rather than the DVD for this type of testing. 

I'm not sure what you mean by 'application'.  LinuxMCE is a combination of many, many applications with a framework to interconnect and control those applications.  There are two ways of installing: the DVD, netinstall.

I'll be updating 1404 pkgs in the main repo after dinner (EST) tonight.

J.

brononius:
I mean that we first install kubuntu, and afterwards all the rest.
This way, we can pindown if the problem with my installation is in kubuntu, or in linuxmce.

But I guess that the netinstall is the way to test now?
Is there somewhere a small quick how-to?
I'll see to try this tomorrow after.

phenigma:
Follow the instructions for the netinstall on 1204, the only difference is you start with a kubuntu 1404 installation.

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installing_1204

J.

brononius:
Works!

Or at the least the installation. I had to run 3x the script to get to the end. But it gets there. I recieved the AVwizard, and everything seem OK now (nice orbiter screen after booting).
See the attached logfiles (stripped for upload size limit) for more info on the errors that stopped the installation script.

Next step, putting in all configs from my old LinuxMCE...  :-\
Let me know if you guys want me to test anything else. Before I start really putting all my config in there. ;)

And let's hope that the ESXi setup keeps as stable as everything else.

ps When I changed the internal ip from 192.168.80.1 to 192.168.111.254, it ended up with 192.168.111.1? After manually changing /etc/network/interfaces and a reboot, this seem to be ok...
And maybe a tip for future ESXi installations? Give the first interface the external network, and the second one the internal one. Can save you some headaches for network. Certainly when you're using trunks between your ESXi and switch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Sitemap 
Go to full version