Author Topic: Resolution issues  (Read 7605 times)

neomut

• View Profile
Resolution issues
« on: April 03, 2007, 05:00:57 pm »
Hey all,

Have ripped through these forums and am unable to find a solution to my issue so figured I will post! ;)

I have jumped at the chance to ge the LMCE running (Current XP MCE) but LMCE has all the ideas in teh right place.

Ok...

Issue) For the life of me I cannot get LMCE to display my LCD native rez which is 1360x768. I have got the underlying Ubuntu X updated an running correctly via http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Latest_Nvidia_Edgy. But as soon as I fire up LMCE the "desktop" is clipped, cannot get U2 working, the my native rez is not visable via the pluto web admin nor the AVWizard. How do I change this rez? :)

Thanks guys and girls.

Specs:
CPU AMD AM2 4600+
Nvidia 7600GT (Giga)
1gb ram
MB: GA-M55S-S3 (giga)

jerry finn

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Resolution issues
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 12:59:14 pm »
Try to set your resolution to 720p. You can't use any other resolution other that those find in the A/V wizard setup.

neomut

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 01:41:40 pm »
You can't use any other resolution other that those find in the A/V wizard setup.

Why is that?

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 01:51:21 pm »
because these are the resolutions tested by linuxmce developers.
Read the F****** Logs!!!

neomut

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 04:00:41 pm »
That would be an explaination for supported resolutions. Not avaliable or usuable. Is it a limitation of pulto home?

Surely everything is rendered? and it could be changed (at my own risk of course) at the X level ?

« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 04:02:47 pm by neomut »

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 08:24:06 am »
These are more limitations of working with the nVidia driver into a simple CE type setup. Diving into modelines etc. can probably help. Some with risk. I tried playing with the nVidia control panel and crashed everything. I gave up and packed it in.

Recommended practice is to select the nearest resolution and then use the scaling feature in the AV Wizard to adjust for the best fit to the display. This will give the best approximation of native resolution. It seems that there are challenges to a true native resolution since most displays don't actually support a direct mode. You end up with scaler after scaler combined with matching artifacts, but it can't be helped today.

neomut

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 05:51:02 pm »
Those are my thoughts atm. Currently my LCD TV has hdmi in but it is not raw, i.e. has all the build in scalers etc so if I send a 1080i signal in it is massivisly overscanned. My understanding of why this is so is limited:(

But I do have  araw VGA in which I use in windoez MCE extremely successfully to drive my native rez (1360x768). Basically I struggle to understand why I cannot drive my LCD this way under linuxMCE. Looks like I will have to dive in and sort it out myself:) Unless there is an RTFM to why I cannot do it, then I will have a shot and if successful will post back here.

Thanks the for post 1audio, I was hoping that someone had tackled the issue and had fixed it:) I will continue to troll forums and mess around with it.

Jasent

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 11:44:42 pm »
today i install the LMCE for the first time and i was ecited to try transperancy but then system told me that there is no transperancy mager stated. Then i found in http://LMCE_IP/pluto-admin/index.php in Media Director menu option to select resolution and UI. This was the way i fix my problem i hope this can be usefull for you.