Author Topic: Wireless Card does not connect  (Read 3602 times)

mcdeath

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Wireless Card does not connect
« on: April 06, 2007, 02:16:34 am »
Hey guys I hoping someone here can help me.
My issue is that once Ubuntu is loaded and my wireless adapter (802.11g) is configured I load MCE.
Once MCE starts there is no network comms, here are the steps I've taken.

I load Ubuntu correctly,  then I install all the updates over a UTP connection.
Once done I load the network manager and WPA supplicant (for some odd reason Ubuntu doesn't support WPA out of the box)

Okay now I have Ubuntu running over 802.11g, with no issues.
Please keep in mind the system wants a password entered to connect to the network each time (I think it was called a ring password or something) this is something Ubuntu wants not my network.

Right so on with the 10hr install of MCE (you know what I mean) and then the final reboot happens. As you know you get promoted with the Orbiter screen asking to configure etc...

This is the issue I can't get to it over wireless because I'm guessing under the bonnet Ubuntu still needs that ring password entered.

Can MCE work using an 802.11g adapter as it's primary interface?

k84

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Wireless Card does not connect
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 04:45:36 am »
Short answer: *Yes, i stronlgy believe that should not be a problem.

You dont mentioned _What_ wireless card you actually have, so this is just the basics.

1) You have to check your /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf file, if what's in it is correct. (e.g essid, password, encryption type as for instance preshared key)
2) You will have to know what command in console starts your wlan up.
e.g
iwconfig wlan0 up
then you need to start the wpa_supplicant with correct paramters.

The couple of lines which you find fire up your device (e.g check with ifconfig & iwconfig) and ofc try to ping some page.
needs to be inserted into an init script (so that it starts upon boot process) i guess linuxMCE shouldnt have any issues then if the network card is initialized before it launches. if so everything can be fixed :-)

mcdeath

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 09:11:14 am »
Thank you very much for your sound advice, I'll follow your steps and see how I go.

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 02:58:53 pm »
i think that you have a pppoe connection to internet. there is a setup way for this kind of connection. look here http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/How_to_setup_ADSL_access%3F
Read the F****** Logs!!!