Author Topic: Network Settings during Install  (Read 3212 times)

jgriffin

• First post!
    • View Profile
Network Settings during Install
« on: April 05, 2007, 12:13:18 pm »
OK, i've just had to abandon the install attempts as SWMBO is home and wants to use the MediaCenter  ::), so it's back to Vista for a day or two, but i did discover a strange fact around the networking on install.

I'm trying to install on an ASUS M2NPV-VM mobo.

The first time I tried to install, i noticed that it detects my IP as static, although it was DHCP. I wanted static anyway, so I changed it to 192.168.10.30 and proceeded through the install. I chose to install the DHCP server, and set my network range to 192.168.10.

A fari way through, the install died after a couple of "unable to contact server" errors trying to download from archive.ubuntu.com. All networking died, which is when i discovered that IP is already in use.

So i rebooted, started the install again, chose 192.168.10.11, but it failed at the same point. It turns out that it set the IP back to .30 at some point during the install - must be a value stored somewhere.

I also noticed that in the hosts file, "dcerouter" gets set to the gateway IP address of 192.168.10.1 rather than the media centers IP address of .11. I'm assuming this probably causes problems when it's trying to bind to itself?