Author Topic: Error: Can't have a partition outside the disk  (Read 9439 times)

canukguy1974

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Error: Can't have a partition outside the disk
« on: February 06, 2009, 01:59:03 pm »
 I just got a amd 3800+ dual core yesterday and I ran the amd64 dvd and the screen goes black and the disk popped out so, I tried the i386 DVD but, as soon as I get the message about what HDD to install it on I get that error: can't have a partition outside the disk. Its a maxtor so I ran the low level format. Still same error. anyone have an idea about what I am doing wrong here. Is there a certain way to have the hard drive and dvd drive on one ide or should I use Primary and Secondary Master 

I am using RC2.DVD. (Do I need to install Kubuntu then the DVD or is it all together)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 02:05:13 pm by canukguy1974 »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Error: Can't have a partition outside the disk
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 07:33:15 pm »
Hello,

The error message you're getting is indicating that the disk you are attempting to use, is too small.

LinuxMCE needs a partition size of at least 20Gb for the root partition, to function.

-Thom

canukguy1974

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 06:28:42 pm »
 Thanks for the info. But, the drive is a Maxtor 250 gig. I ended up using a 40 gig and it worked now it I can just figure out how to install kernel-source I would be all set.

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 10:06:23 am »
It's probably a combination of hard disk, bios and linux that gives you problem with using the 250G disk. Maybe you can find some more information on the Internet. I remember to have read something about bios settings wrt. disk size and linux, but it was some time ago, not sure it applies.

br, sambuca

canukguy1974

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 02:45:37 pm »
thanks for pointing in the right direction hopefully. I have it setup now using a 40 gig that I have and I am just adding the 250 via LVM. But I am looking into because I still have a couple 250's and I have to make a MD.

canukguy1974

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 07:32:21 pm »
 I guess it is a combination of a whole bunch of things. First off the harddrive that I was trying is basically toast. But, it gave me the same error on a different disk. This system is an Intel board D845EBG2 and a 3800+ dual core with DDR 400 1gig x2 GeForce 8500 GT. I could not get the 64bit version to get past the first click. Basically as soon as I clicked to install the monitor shuts off therefore useless. I couldn't get the 32 bit version (810)DVD to work either it started all looked good but, brings me too the BusyBox console and (intramfs) prompt. So I eventually got it to install Kubuntu and then use the packages to install Alpha2. I got it to install but had problems with compiling Kernel upgrade didn't go as planned so I had to abort. I put it on my p4 2.6 with a GeForce 5200 and only 768mb of ram (DDR 400) and Not one problem to report all went as planned. Now if someone could only tell me how to compile mythtv so I can apply me patches I would be golden.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 09:54:35 pm »
Are you trying to build a working system to use? Or is this system not for actual use, but for cutting code/bug fixing and you'll be submitting updates to the dev team?

canukguy1974

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 04:36:50 pm »
 No, I  am a noob still I just get by and I mean JUST. I actually need a working system.  It started out being a mythtv system for someones house but, now he seen LinuxMCE and wants a 6 zone audio system which I am buying the russound cav6.6 and set up MCE and 2 tv's  1 with cable and 1 with DishNet PVR system.  I have set up mythtv system for me with DVB cards (twinhan 1020& 1025) all went well. I ran it to 2 xbox frontends and a vlc server to my neighbours house. I just cant figure this out I need the kernel sources so I can compile mythtv because I need to patch it. I downloaded the source THSAK (something along that line) told me to get the source and compile the component. I have tried for the last 72 hours with minimal sleep. I just would like someone to point in the right direction or tell me that it doesn't work. Like if I just download mythtv svn and compile like I would in say like Knoppmyth is that wrong or do I have to compile the one in the LinuxMCE-0810 source.Please someone put out of my misery and help me. Thanks for reading.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 08:50:45 pm »
Then why are you downloading development "Alpha" versions??! Anything, anywhere you read or get these from make it very clear that they are for developer use only, not users!.

Delete everything you have got - now download the correct release version from the download links on the web site - 0710RC2, use the DVD installer, and use i386 not AMD64