Author Topic: Remote Boot failure  (Read 14758 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Remote Boot failure
« on: March 17, 2005, 02:42:21 pm »
We did a standard install from the CD Iso image and are trying to get a PC to remote boot from DCErouter. The process begins ok on the booting PC then we see a DHCP prompt line with an animated progress cursor. After about a minute or so we get the following error displayed;

"No Boot Filename Received"

Then the PC commences to boot from the local Windows XP installation.

Any advice as to what could be causing this to happen. We expected remote boot to be much simpler than this.

Regards

Andrew

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Remote Boot failure
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 04:15:29 pm »
It seems that the computer you are trying to boot from the network isn't registered as a Media Director or it's MAC address isn't correctly registered. The Core can't give a bootable image to regular computers since it builds the boot image when it sees a Media Director in the database, for each machine in part.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
I'm seeing the same DHCP error
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 05:22:47 pm »
I'm seeing the same thing.  After adding a machine as a Media Director and configuring the settings for IP & Mac, I go to boot it.  "No Boot Image found"

I did notice that the /usr/pluto/diskless directory still has only one entry for the machine I entered during the Core install.  Is there a way to verify or request that the Core generated the proper boot image for the added Media Directors?  

Dan

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: I'm seeing the same DHCP error
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 05:33:07 pm »
Quote from: "anonymous"
I'm seeing the same thing.  After adding a machine as a Media Director and configuring the settings for IP & Mac, I go to boot it.  "No Boot Image found"

Adding new diskless Media Directors from the local pluto admin website doesn't currently work. It's on my "To Do" list.

If you add a new diskless Media Director to the installation using the installation wizard on plutohome.com, that doesn't get propagated to the existing install unless you reinstall.

I did notice that the /usr/pluto/diskless directory still has only one entry for the machine I entered during the Core install.  Is there a way to verify or request that the Core generated the proper boot image for the added Media Directors?

Each diskless Media Director gets its own directory in /usr/pluto/diskless and some boot files in /tftpboot when the Core boots. Currently it doesn't do that on the fly. But the above "To Do" still applies.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
keep us posted
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 06:40:05 pm »
Thanks for the update.  Looking forward to it...

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 11:28:58 pm »
Quote from: "radu.c"

Adding new diskless Media Directors from the local pluto admin website doesn't currently work. It's on my "To Do" list.

If you add a new diskless Media Director to the installation using the installation wizard on plutohome.com, that doesn't get propagated to the existing install unless you reinstall.

Each diskless Media Director gets its own directory in /usr/pluto/diskless and some boot files in /tftpboot when the Core boots. Currently it doesn't do that on the fly. But the above "To Do" still applies.

Ok that would explain it!

I noticed that /usr/pluto/diskless did not seem to have as many sub directories in it as i was expecting. Any idea how long it will be before the local Pluto Admin Website will support configuring diskless Media Directors?

By the way we are incredibly impressed by what you guys have done with Pluto.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 10:12:03 pm »

Any chance this is going to make it into 2.0.0.13, or is creating a new KickStart disc a better solution for now?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 08:59:34 pm »
Quote from: "danielk"

Any chance this is going to make it into 2.0.0.13, or is creating a new KickStart disc a better solution for now?

I put this into the current source tree, but I still need to test and confirm it works for all people. I don't know what the schedule for 2.0.0.13 is, but this should get into it. The KickStart CD also gets updated each release, because I make changes now and then.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 09:33:00 am »
Quote from: "danielk"

I put this into the current source tree, but I still need to test and confirm it works for all people. I don't know what the schedule for 2.0.0.13 is, but this should get into it. The KickStart CD also gets updated each release, because I make changes now and then.

Hi,

I also have empty MAC in original install for Media director. Now I'd like to try that but if I understood right, there is currently no chance to add MAC via web interfaces (either local or Pluto site). But I be there is a workaround.... I have pluto_main database opened, can you point me where to add MAC address....

Thanks,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
MAC Address format
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 02:24:17 pm »
What is the correct format for entering the MAC address on the Media Directors screen? I cannot seem to get Pluto to hand out the boot image. I have a folder /usr/pluto/diskless/192.168.80.2 with an image in it.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Remote Boot failure
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 03:17:28 pm »
It's just a normal mac address: 00:30:59:01:e3:91

However, after changing it, be sure to either reboot (or faster) run /usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_Setup.sh.  That causes the dhcp configuration to be re-written, and the dhcp server to be reset.  When that's done, you can confirm what the ip address of the m/d is, and then:
 tail -f /var/log/syslog
and you should see a system log about a dhcp request from the pc, and that it gave it the ip in the database.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Remote Boot failure
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 09:35:30 pm »
Thanks for that. I have now managed to boot the diskless client (VMWare 4.5 client).

When the Media Director starts it goes into X11 but the screen is drawn oversized so I am only seeing the top left 60%.

I tried installing the VMWare tools but it couldn't find gcc. Do I need to configure X11 to use a specific screen size?

I am not much of a Linux expert but any help woul dbe appreciated.

Thanks, Darren.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Remote Boot failure
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2005, 08:56:48 am »
Sorry, I'm confused about the use of VMWare....  You have 2 PC's, the core and the m/d.  I assume you used the kick-start to setup Pluto on the Core, right?  So, it's just a vanilla core, and it created a network boot image for the other PC, which is now booting over the net.  So the M/D too is also vanilla Pluto Linux, right?  Where is VMWare running?  Can you explain the configuration?

The M/D at the moment always boots up with 800x600 resolution.  It's one of the more pressing things on our todo list to fix that so you can pick the correct resolution, but at the moment you have to alter the XConfig manually.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Remote Boot failure
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2005, 10:54:06 pm »
Sorry! I didn't mean to confuse you. I have a regular x86 PC that I have built from the kick-start cd this is working fine (well until a few minutes ago when the IDE subsystem died and corrupted my disk - but that's another story). I have a Windows XP PC  running VMWare Workstation. In VMWare I have a Virtual PC set to network boot from the Core as an MD. This now works fine except that when the X session starts the panel is too big for the screen. How do I configure X to set the resolution high enough to display the full panel. VMware may have been a red herring it is just that VMWare provides tools for Linux that help describe the capabilities of the emulated hardware a bit better and I thought that it may appear to give the MD OS the impression that the default screen resolution was higher than it is currently using.