Author Topic: Geforce 6600 GT  (Read 13945 times)

Jametsi

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: Geforce 6600 GT
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 02:12:34 pm »
I forgot to add: If you kill the X with ctrl+alt+backspace, it just tries to restart gdm automatically. If you want to kill gdm completely, you must wait it to restart and kill it again a few times, so it gives up and stays down.

mking

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 05:00:59 pm »
OK...I'll try your method...couple questionw though..

1) The NVIDIA driver install wants the system to be a RunLevel 3. So between your steps 2 and 3...I should type telinit 3.  I'm also assuming that after doing the telinit...the system will not automatically send me to the ubuntu login screen.
2) If all goes well with your procedure....will I need to modify any system files to get ubuntu to use the NVidia driver? For Example the xorg.conf.

1) press ctrl+alt+F1 (this brings you the text-based login outside the X)
2) command "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop" if you use ubuntu, and "sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop" if you use kubuntu
3) now you have no X running and can install the Nvidia-drivers by commanding "sudo sh NVIDIA..." completing the package name which you are installing

rictec

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 01:45:02 am »
i used this to install mine 6600GT and it worked OK no changes no editing new nvidia settings aplication on ubuntu menus.

and no error also...

nice one. thanks

Rictec

Driver 9755...

k84

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 04:44:23 am »
Great to hear you got it working, let's hope it stays like that when updates are "pushed"/downloaded to it :-))