Author Topic: Installing LinuxMCE - server/ VirtualBox, median directors, etc.  (Read 2820 times)

KirkD

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
I've been working to install LinuxMCE on a server box and have bumped up against numerous issues.

First off, here's a snapshot of my core system:

Zareason Breeze Server 5880s
GigaByte mother board, model #H97N-WIFI
i7-4790 3.6-4GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
2x2TB 7200 rpm drives currently configured as software RAID
2xGigabit Ethernet
Integrated Intel HD audio with jacked outputs as well as digital spdif output
Integrated Intel HD video with DVI and HDMI output

I've tried to install LinuxMCE directly on the system with no luck whatsoever.  10.04 and 14.04 fail completely.  12.04 will install, but I get no video playback in the wizards.

Instead, I installed Fedora 21 (mostly to see if anything would work) and yes, that works great.  Given my familiarity with Fedora, I decided to install VirtualBox and then LinuxMCE as a guest.  Again, 10.04 and 14.04 fail completely, but 12.04 installs nicely.  Video playback and sound are fine and I currently have that set up as a hybrid system.  Of course, a VirtualBox media director isn't much use, but I am able to test various details of the system from there.

Next, I'm using this as a potential MediaDirector:

ThinkPenguin PocketWee (https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/penguin-pocket-wee-gnu-linux-desktop)
i3-4010U 1.7 GHz processor
8GB memory
120 GB SS SATA drive
HDMI output
Intel 4400 graphics integrated
Intel HD audio 8 channel sound through HDMI

Should serve quite well.  I have a USB DVD drive that I use for the install and everything seems to go OK, but I have no video playback on the initial wizard.  I tried going to the KDE desktop and updating the Intel drivers, but that caused the whole thing to stop working - only command line - so I started over.

Any tips on getting the Intel video drivers working?

-Kirk

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Installing LinuxMCE - server/ VirtualBox, median directors, etc.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 01:09:11 am »
Since we recently moved to the LTS HWE stack on 1204 I believe we support the integrated intel HD video.  I do not have any here to test so I cannot verify that or troubleshoot here.  I can help you to work through some of the issues (hopefully).  After you have gone through AVWizard feel free to complete the setup even though the video is not showing in the Setup Wizard.  We can troubleshoot the AV portion after you have completed the setup wizard.

Basic things I need to begin include running the following commands on the system in question:
Code: [Select]
pastebinit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
pastebinit /etc/asound.conf
lspci -nn | grep VGA | pastebinit
. /usr/pluto/bin/Utils.sh; CheckVideoDriver | pastebinit

What method of install / snapshot number did you use to install from?

J.