General > Users

Video Standards.

(1/3) > >>

golgoj4:
So, maybe this is a personal problem, maybe its more than just me.

Being able to play Audio/Video consistently across multiple platforms is...tricky at best. Moreso video than audio, but both can be challenging. But, its still something i would like to have. yet, one thing ive come across is something that is still present in 2014. The codec problem. Some devices support this, some support that, some like one container over others when the stream contains the same content. I could go on. What I have learned is that, MKV is king. It has such great support for many of the features we like, such as multiple video streams, wider choice of audio streams, subtitle support, etc. However, MP4 (m4v) seems to be the widely accepted standard for non htpc solutions like phones and tablets across the big players in those markets.

I have pretty much doubled down on mkv, which, to my dismay i have learned is a non starter with an ipad and a hit and miss situation on my Nexus 7. Sooooo. What to do? Well a lot of time has been spent so far, with actual practical results coming out of it. We now have an html5 capable audio/video streamer (sorry no dvd or live tv folks, though possible). But the main question is this.  Am I the only person who cares about this? If so, i should likely direct my efforts elsewhere in the qOrbiter eco-system as now, audio seems to work pretty well.

Golgoj4

Esperanto:
I'd love to be able to play mythtv live tv&recordings on a rpi and occasionally on an android device.

Personally I don't care much about apple: android is getting most of the market share and since they are much more affordable anyone able to buy an apple should be able to get a simple android device.

That said being able to play everything on every device is the best of course but probably not worth the efforts.

Marie.O:
I don't care about video playback on a remote. So, if you ask me, invest your precious time in other qOrbiter endeavors.

phenigma:

--- Quote from: golgoj4 on December 21, 2014, 04:01:37 pm ---Being able to play Audio/Video consistently across multiple platforms is...tricky at best. Moreso video than audio, but both can be challenging. But, its still

--- End quote ---

VLC is available for android/ios/win/linux... pretty much everything.  And it plays pretty much everything.  Can you leverage it somehow?  Just my 2 cents. 

A/V on the qorbiter has one purpose for me: show the main TV screen A&V on the kitchen and bathroom qorbiter screens so you don't miss anything.  ;)  It's a super feature I've seen in a few smart homes put together near here by a company called Digital Interiors.  Very slick.  It's only a display, not a controller though.

Anyways, very low on my priority list compared to other qorbiter related bits, but still on my list.  ;)

J.

golgoj4:
All good points.

I think something else that needs to be discussed and maybe got lost in the qorbiter part of the discussion is:

*What are the optimal formats
 *Flac, Ogg, Mp3, AAC, WAV, MKV, MP4, AVI, WMV?

*What are the optimal ways of achieving a well archived media library and what can we improve?
 *Media Tagging Tools - Linuxmce and otherwise
 *Ripping methods - LinuxMCE  and otherse

-golgoj4

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Sitemap 
Go to full version