Author Topic: Stop Checking for Nvidia-Glx darn you...  (Read 7693 times)

DBO

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Stop Checking for Nvidia-Glx darn you...
« on: March 26, 2007, 10:16:30 am »
How do you get it to stop checking for this package?  I don't have it installed (i do however have the driver present and working).  I have the entire thing installed, but I can't get to the configuration wizard without it complaining about nvidia-glx and trying to downgrade my kernel.  Again, I do have the driver installed, just not through the package.  There must be a way to force it not to check, im just not sure where...

Thanks, DBO

webpaul1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Stop Checking for Nvidia-Glx darn you...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 11:09:08 am »
For the moment try putting an exit in /usr/pluto/bin/Config_Device_Changes.sh.   This will disable the auto-installing of necessary software as new devices are connected (ie it won't auto-download tv drivers, etc.), but see if this gets past the immediate hurdle.  FYI I'm setting up live yahoo/skype help: http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Tech_Support

DBO

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 09:05:07 pm »
hmmm ok that got me a little further along.  It will now pop me into the configuration wizard, but after I select the proper resolution it goes to make that adjustment and never makes it back.  The machine hardlocks at this point.  Has LinuxMCE been tested with the Nvidia 9631's before?  Something is going quite horribly wrong I am afraid...

arbrandes

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 03:20:05 am »
The same exact thing happens to me.  I'm using the Nvidia 9755's (built and installed using the "envy" utility).  Whevener I try to "Start Media Center", it removes the drivers, asks for the resolution in the initial configuration, and then the machine hangs completely, requiring a hard reset.  Upon reboot, I have to reinstall the drivers, for X won't load.

I'm stuck.  Tried inserting an "exit" in the beginning of Config_Device_Changes.sh, no luck.

webpaul1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 11:03:54 pm »
Try putting in an exit in /usr/pluto/bin/XConfigure.sh, and let me know if that does what you want, please.

arbrandes

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 12:24:22 am »
I had already tried inserting an "exit" in XConfigure.sh in addition to Config_Device_Changes.sh, with no luck.  If I had to guess, I'd say that this is a direct consequence of the problem on the "Why only Vesa?" thread:

http://forum.linuxmce.com/index.php?topic=1310.0

asgard

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 01:41:07 am »
hmmm ok that got me a little further along.  It will now pop me into the configuration wizard, but after I select the proper resolution it goes to make that adjustment and never makes it back.  The machine hardlocks at this point.  Has LinuxMCE been tested with the Nvidia 9631's before?  Something is going quite horribly wrong I am afraid...

About the nvidia-glx package: The system is running with the assumption that runs on a clean/default ubuntu linux. I think it would be better for you to create a deb package named nvidia-glx that contains your hand made nvidia glx modules/libs, This way would be easer for you and us :)

Black screen in AV Wizard: This means that your display in not supporting the signal that comes out of the video card. You can press 'ESC' of way 15 seconds and that it'll drop you to the previous good resolution again.

If you kindly make a donation i will promise that i will personally test the nvidia 9631 cards before the next release :). I don't have one so if you are able to see what is the exact problem and maybe come with a fix it would be very helpful.

asgard

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 01:45:52 am »
I had already tried inserting an "exit" in XConfigure.sh in addition to Config_Device_Changes.sh, with no luck.  If I had to guess, I'd say that this is a direct consequence of the problem on the "Why only Vesa?" thread:

http://forum.linuxmce.com/index.php?topic=1310.0

I suspect that they are related. If we are right than by modifying the GetVideoDriver() function from the /usr/pluto/bin/Utils.sh files and restarting the computer would temporary fix it, you only need to add this lines between TweakStart/TweakEnd comments there:

Code: [Select]
GetVideoDriver()
{
# Tweak START
echo "nv"
exit 0
# Tweak END
        if [[ -n "$ForceVESA" ]]; then
                echo vesa
                return 0
        fi
}

k84

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 02:53:31 pm »
Hi, if the above didnt help out, check out the Why only vesa thread, i got it working tonight with my 6600gt cards, it was pretty easy, but not plug and play, only plug and pray.

As mentioned above i think i had the exact same problem.

Best regards
Kurt

k84

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 12:30:56 am »
If you guys doesnt get it working, and have followed my steps above, there probably is a conflicting nvidia module loaded
type: dmesg in the console and check for this line:
 NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module  1.0-9755  Mon Feb 26 23:21:15 PST 2007
That's the newest module, if you have a conflicting installed module the nr is probably something like 1.0-7XXX

if so you will need to remove the nvidia-glx package via apt-get remove nvidia-glx
then reinstall the nvidia drivers (from nvidia.com) you might need to apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.17.XXX <-- new version nr)

Dont be afraid to pm, i'll be glad to help when i get the time,.